1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Winter salt damage

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by gazell, May 12, 2010.

1. gazell

gazell New Member

Hi,
    Its been a while but need some advice.:money:
    I have some really nice chrome plated wheels on my "burb", but during the winter, the ice is treated with salt and unfortunately, some of it ate some nasty holes in my chrome.
    Is there any, any...type of coating solution that will maybe prevent corrosion, without extended, hard application???:neutral:
    Thanks in advance.
    Gazell
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Pretty much no.. From my experience.. I have yet to find anything...
  3. DutchSuburban

DutchSuburban New Member

The only thing to do when a car is driven to salty road is to wash him so quick as possible and don’t forget to wash the underside.
    The after the winter give you car a good cleaning polishing and waxing so the paint and chrome is also protected.
  4. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

we always recommend switching to a winter set of wheels for winter driving most people get a stock set or buy inexpensive steel wheels for winter
  5. sharpshooterusmc

sharpshooterusmc Rockstar 100 Posts

or you could just move down south, im from louisiana and iv seen snow twice in my life, im in the Marine Corps so im in California and IMO, it is one of the worst states ever, only good things are the weather, women, and the beach.
  6. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

well that was one option and one that i agree most snow belt people use. .. but me i havent seen anything that will actually prevent it. and i refuse to take off my chrome rims in the winter since i have my good tires on them and need them to get thru the snow...
  7. trottida

trottida New Member

I had the same question recently and asked an auto detailer. They didn't know of any commercial product made to protect chrome from winter salt but they mentioned that "Back in the old days" people would put Vaseline over their chrome during the winter months to keep the salt off.