1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wiper motor buzz - wipers die - 98 K1500

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by berg, Nov 16, 2011.

1. berg

berg New Member

98 GMC K1500 - wipers will quit randomly, usually late at night in a downpour on some busy highway or a backroad in the dead of night, and the motor/control panel under hood gives off a light buzzing noise. At first I could just give the wipers a wiggle and they'd start up again. Now I have resorted to going under the hood and wiggling the wiring harness at the wiper motor to get them to kick in. Seems to be getting worse and worse. When they do come on they're fine. I took it apart and cleaned the connections but they looked fine. There was a ton of red grease on the round ring thing that the relay points ride on but it was clean.

I'm doubting it's the motor itself - maybe the control module?? Or delay circuit thing. Anyone else ran into this problem?
  2. seph

seph New Member

Sounds exactly like the control module. I've got a '95 C1500 and this happened when it was about 5 yrs old and the problem wasn't widely known yet. A wiggle would fire them right off most of the time. After it got worse, I put a rebuilt wiper moter on it with the control board included and it was fine for about the next 8-9 years. Started doing it again last winter and had the same symptoms you not working and buzzing noise. At first I could wiggle them and they would work, then it got to where I had to hit the panel on the wiper motor and they would start. I put in a new board last summer (only about $30 and maybe 15min) and its working beautiful.

I also had the same thing you mention about the grease being everywhere on the inside. I'm not sure if its supposed to be that way or not. I cleaned up the grease around the board area and tried to 'contain' it to the screw that passed through the lower portion. I don't drive the truck a lot, maybe 500-1,000 miles a month but no problems in the last couple of months.

I'd pull the module, clean up the grease in there and put a new one in if it was mine.
  3. berg

berg New Member

Thanks Seph - pretty much what I was thinking too but good to have some confirmation. Never really notice the wipers aren't working during the summer! I'm going to swap in a new module tonight and see if that will cure it.
  4. Revredneck

Revredneck New Member 100 Posts

If you can solder, you can fix it yourself. Remove the circuit board and look for cracks in the solder where the connector is soldered to the board. Just re-melt the solder on those terminals and reinstall. Easy and cheap!
    Good Luck and God Bless
  5. berg

berg New Member

I bought a new circuit board, only $30 and always in stock as they said it's a pretty common problem. However wipers have been working just fine for the last few rainy days... Figures. Once I get a little extra time I may swap it out anyway so it doesn't decide to die again on the freeway during a downpour.

I can solder ok from my old days doing RC cars but I'd rather not mess with it!
  6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I've had two boards in my '96 "Burb, I now keep one in the shop because they ALWAYS go bad on a holiday weekend.:lol: