Wiper motor issues

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by ChevyTori1997, Apr 15, 2012.

1. ChevyTori1997

ChevyTori1997 New Member

My winshield wipers have been acting up. they work sometimes and other times they dont... it will be raining and i will cut them on. they work for a few minutes and then quit. if you mess with the switch they will eventually cut back on, but after a few times of that they will completely quit working. very aggrivating and a little confusing. the motor cant be bad or they they wouldnt work at all. right? i need help, and let me know if you have had the same problem - Thanks

2. 07XCSB

07XCSB Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Go ahead, buy a wiper motor and be done with it. The board in you wiper motor is going out. Don't waste you time and money on a junkyard part, You'll be replacing it very soon aswell.

3. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It is the module on the wiper motor. This is very common. The module for mine was about 20 dollars at advance auto. 3 screws and 5 minutes and you're done.

4. ChevyTori1997

ChevyTori1997 New Member

Thanks for the help y'all!

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

There was a recall on the wiper motor on my 1995. I got a letter 2 0r 3 years ago. I took it in, they changed the motor out and it fixed the issues I had.

6. osgprometheus

osgprometheus Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Motors are motors, the have windings that wear with time. They develop flat spots, wich cause gaps. Loss of power.

I agree, get a motor.

7. moogvo

Why would you replace the motor when the module is bad? Thats like replacing the rim because the tire has a hole in it or replacing the transmission because the driveshaft has a bad U joint.

The module is a known problem on these and has been for years. It is a circuit card under the plastic cover on the wiper motor. They get moisture in there and the contactors corrode. Eventually, it affects the connection and causes the contacts in the connector to fail. There is no need to replace the motor when an auto zone 20 dollar module will make it work just fine.

I see no reason to advise people to spend money for things they dont need.

8. ChevyTori1997

ChevyTori1997 New Member

Well I replace the motor with an oem one and fixed the problem. The way I look at it, if moisture was getting to the circuit board, then if I got a new board it would eventually happen again and I'm sure that they fixed that problem with the oem motor. Plus it was only 20 bucks more for the motor. But thanks for the advice

9. moogvo

Glad you got it working!