1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Wipers come on by themselves

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by kongdc, Jan 26, 2008.

1. kongdc

kongdc New Member

Anyone heard of this before?

I'll be driving along and the wipers will come on. They'll only make one sweep, and that's it. There is no usual time this happens. Obviously an eleltrical problem, but how would you troubleshoot an intermittent failure?

My truck is still under warranty. How can I describe this to the mechanics without sounding crazy?

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

What year/make/model is your truck? (You might want to add that to your signature in the User CP (see the top menu) so no one has to ask you that over and over.)

I've had a short in another vehicle that made the wipers come on by themseleves. It was a short in the wiper control arm and it was replaced under warranty.

Is this an issue with RainSense system? Does your truck have Rain Sense?

3. kuyawil69

kuyawil69 New Member

Hey Kongdc,

Any updates with this problem? Just curious since you posted this over a year and a half ago...

And just so you know, I have the same problem with my wipers too. There's no pattern at all. They just go on for a 2-3 wipes and then stop. I'll definitely bring this up with my next trip to the dealer...

Hope to hear from you...

-BigWil

4. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

my 92 GMC does this from time to time.its got a short in the lever that controls the wipers/turn signals.i hardly drive it so it never bothers me but you could probably look around and find a new one or check lmctruck.com

5. 1_low_rider

1_low_rider Rockstar 100 Posts

i had the same problem on my truck recently and i looked around for a replacement online and i kept seeing it go for around $75 give or take, so i called up the local junkyard and they put one on me for $30 so maybe that would be a good alternative source for anyone else having this problem.