1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wiring an old truck. HELP NEEDED!!

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by aloxdaddy99, Jul 5, 2012.

1. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

A good friend of mine has an old Kiaser weapons truck. An M 715. It has a 427 and I think a NV4500 tranny. It is his toy. He is in the Navy and currently unable to work on his truck. His wife is taking the truck to a body shop to have the rust,holes and other issues on the body fixed. Than it will be painted flat black. But the wiring in the truck is sad to be polite about it. I would like to try to rewire it for him while he is gone. That way when he gets back we can have some fun in it. The truck is basic as far as what needs to be wired. The only exception is he installed an electrcic fan, but not thermal switch. So after the truck is started and ran for a few minutes you have to manually flip the switch for the fan, and conversly when you shut the truck off you have to remember to flip off the fan switch. So I know I need some kind of relay to fix that issue. But my question is what is the best way of redoing the rest of the wiring in the truck? A premade harness or make one up? Any help would be appreciated!
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

NOS wiring harnesses for that truck should still be available from surplus dealers. You should also download and read the Technical Manuals (TMs) for it. The TM is very complete and has complete wiring diagrams with every bit of info imaginable on them. It appears m715zone.com may have the TMs on the site, but you have to register for a free account. Make sure you get all the manuals. There should be a manual that ends in -10, -20, and probably -34. The bigger the number, the more in-depth the information.
  3. steved

steved Former Member

Keep in mind that wiring, even though NOS; is still almost 50 years old at this point (hey, the 60s were a long time ago). Since nothing else is apparently stock (a 427 and NV4500 were not optional equipment on the M715!), I would source the end connectors and new wire, and make my own harnesses. Chances are, you will end up replacing some of the switches and other components too.

I have an M37 sitting at the house, that's the route I will take when the time comes.
  4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts

When I re-wired my 1960 Land Rover, my dad and I stripped all the wiring out and went through and made it all new. some of the wiring had been messed with before so it was kind of a mess and we felt it was the best way to clean it up. We bought a few sets of fuse blocks (I think it originally had like 2 fuses). We had also converted it from positive ground (generator) to negative ground (alternator) years before as well as electric fuel pump rather than mechanical.
  5. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts

ints not the best picture and we actually added a bit of wiring and used 12-14 guage for alot of stuff but it shows the fuses and relay blocks
    LR06.jpg
  6. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

I was searching around last night on the website that [MENTION=14098]Crawdaddy[/MENTION] recommended and found some of those members used a harness kit from EZ wire. It is a 12 circuit harness complete with fuce block and the wires are marked every 12 inches or so for $185. I am strongly leaning that way. It should make the job easier for me and also should be a cleaner look. The easier part is important to me since the truck is in VA and I am in NC. Thanks to all for your input.