Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wiring driving lights

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by Als09Sierra, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Has anyone posted a thread on wiring driving or fog lights? I am not electrically inclined but would like to install my new PIAAs myself.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I can't tell from your pictures in your album, what type of PIAA lights did you get? They look like the SMR's or maybe the 510 series, the only one's I have installed are the 520's and they were easy to install. Mine came with a pre-termintaed wiring harness, which I hooked the + cables to the top post of the battery, and I hooked the - to the other top post. PIAA recommends hooking the grounds onto the - post, versus grounding it on the chassis or somewhere else. The switch for inside the cab needs one of the wires to be grounded, and then one of them is neutral and another one is hot. When wired correctly the LED on the switch will stay on green, and then your good to go!

I wish I would have taken pictures of when I installed mine, but I didn't really think there was enough there to show anything. Good luck with your install!
  3. Als09Sierra

I have the 540s, and I thought you aren't supposed to wire direct to the battery. I also thought they had to tie into the headlight power. I'll double-check the instructions to see what it says. Maybe I'm over-thinking this.
  4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I think you might be you should be able to wire them into the fuse panel (i hope there are a few blank spots still left) rather than directly to the battery that will also allow you to install an aftermarket switch to operate them... Plus less stuff hooked up to your battery...
  5. Als09Sierra

Just checked the instructions and I am an idiot. The lights are powered direct from the battery and the switch has to tie into the headlights (high-beams supposedly). Maybe I should've paid for the install, but I like to learn. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your help. :glasses:
  6. murdog94

hmm lesson learned on my part...
  7. Als09Sierra

There are spots open in the fuse box, but the harness includes a fuse that won't fit. Plus, I'm not sure of my ability to wire to the fuse box. Could I wire direct to the fog lights, or is that too much going through one fuse? That way I could turn them on with the fogs without the need of wiring the cheesy PIAA switch.
  8. murdog94

Im not to sure that might be quite a draw for that system.. You dont want to have to worry about burning wires anyhow...
    I guess id just wire per instructions and look into getting a nicer switch... That should make it s a bit more simple if something were to go out.
  9. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

DO NOT WIRE THOSE INTO THE FACTORY SWITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :gasp:

I speak from experience on this one, I tried to wire my PIAA's into the factory fog light switch and it melted the switch and the wiring behind it! Also another reason I wired it directly to the battery was because of warranty issues, your truck being brand new you will learn that lesson as well. The dealer doesn't care about extra lights, as long as you don't splice the factory wires. As soon as you splice into that high beam wire your done, just cross your fingers that nothing electrical ever happens to your truck. I know the wires on the battery looks like a$$, but it's the safest way to do it. And yeah that PIAA switch does suck, but if you open it up and look inside it actually has a circuit board in it. I never attempted to swap the switches on mine, mainly because I wasn't sure what that circuit board was for.
  10. murdog94

and there is your answer.....