Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Wiring Setup '96 Suburban

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by mnmhays, May 31, 2014.

1. mnmhays

mnmhays New Member

I will test to be sure but logic tells me that my reasoning is what should work. Reverse light is the wild card, as it has been a recent addition to most setups. A mechanic friend of mine was saying that 7 pins usually run just 6, leaving the reverse light dummied off if it's not readily available. I figure that since I most likely have it, I will wire it in.

The beauty of the 4wires in the OEM harness is that they are meant to be T-ed into, since they run the the vehicle's turn, brake, reverse & running lights.

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yep, reverse lights on a trailer are finally starting to be a thing on the larger 5th wheels, and slowly creeping into smaller campers. But if you have the wire already in your trailer prep harness (I did too on my 91 'burb) why not hook it up. I plan to add reverse lights to my camper eventually.

3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Does it show now, I logged off and it is there.

The same one used in the US, but there is a difference between the pic in post 8, and the one in post 5, the colours are different, and the designation for the center terminal is different (I think in the original assignments for the 7 pin connector, the center pin was for whatever you wanted).

4. mnmhays

mnmhays New Member

Still no pic for me...must be my computer.

Final question; Where is the wire under the dash for the red brake controller wire to connect to?

5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Try this,
    Bargman 7-pin Connector.jpg

6. mnmhays

mnmhays New Member

Got the pic now, thanks!

Last thing I'm having real trouble with is the red wire from my brake controller to the stop light switch...where is the wire to hook that into. I pulled the lower dash cover and I'm not getting to anything through there. I saw a thread about a spot on the relay block but I have no connectors to plug into.

7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The brake switch is waaay up on the brake pedal, in a nearly impossible to get to spot. I do remember reading that the connector block in the drivers footwell has a spot that's tied into the cold side of the brake pedal, but I don't remember which one it was. Some probing with a multimeter while pushing the brake pedal should sort it out pretty quick.

8. mnmhays

mnmhays New Member

The spade connector on the control block is only on '99 & up.

I did finally find the wiring harness that leads out of the switch...there are about 7 or 8 wires in it. After some consultation with my Chilton Manual and a mechanic friend (He's primarily a Chrysler mechanic)...we deduced & tested that it is the white wire leading out of the switch...Bingo! We're in business!

9. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

The thread I think you are both referencing is I think the one I posted about a similar question. Glad to know that now I have an answer to which wire it is LOL.