Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Won't idle?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by shaman6, Dec 15, 2008.

1. shaman6

shaman6 New Member

Help me please?

I have a 2002 Silverado Ex. Cab Z 71 with 19,200 miles on it. Obviously, I don't drive it a lot.
    Saturday, I started the truck in my garage and put it in gear. The engine started and immediately quit.

I started it several times and it would start right up, but would not idle, either in gear or in neutral.

If I accellerated, it would run and drive, but it would die if I took my foot off the gas.

Also, I noticed that when I filled it up with gas, the mpg had deteriorated from 15-17 to 12-13.

While trying to determine where to go to get this checked, I decided to replace the fuel filter, even though the current filter had been put on 3000 miles ago.

Surprise! I started the truck to get it outside to work on it and the thing ran fine.

I went ahead and changed the fuel filter, but I am worried that this will happen again.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any insight into this problem would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  2. mec.1987

mec.1987 New Member

Hey man, Well I'm glad it worked for you. Heres my theory. Ok, I had a chevy pickup, I built the 350, and only used the truck for weekends. Well once I got married, the truck sat for quite a while. And with such low miles on your truck, maybe this is the same situation; you let it sit for a while. I'm a junior mechanic, but I have seen several occasions to where when a vechicle sits for a period of time, first the fuel filter might gunk up, and eventually the fuel pump going out. I advise tryin to get in it and take it around the block at least once or twice a week. Hope this helps buddy. Mike

[​IMG]
  3. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I agree! :great: