1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Won't shift into overdrive/service engine soon light on

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by deerslayer, Jun 19, 2011.

1. deerslayer

deerslayer New Member

I have a 2000 Chevy Suburban K1500, 4WD, 5.3L. While driving I noticed the service engine soon light was on. Truck was running fine so I figured I would check when I got home. Was driving on some country roads, so I didn't really get over 40 mph. When I finally got out on the highway, I noticed that at 70 mph. the engine rpms were higher than normal. Well, I figured out that it wasn't shifting into overdrive. When I did shift down to 3 you could feel it downshift. When I shifted down to 2 you could feel it downshift. When shifted down to 1 it didn't downshift. It acts like it's one gear off from what the shift indicator says it is. The weird thing is it will shift into reverse, nuetral, and park properly. If you come to a stop and manually put it into Drive 1, It acts like it is in Drive 2. i know it has that special driving thing where if you manually put it in Drive 2 when you take off it takes off in Drive 2. I checked fluid level (OK), not burnt smell. Drove home from vacation home (130 miles) yesterday and drove fine (excluding the higher rpm and higher fuel consumption understandably) but won't shift into OD. Engine light/no OD related or coincidence. Both symptoms happened at same time. Any ideas!
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If you have a SES light than you need to have the truck scanned to see what code was thrown. Not all scanners can scan transmission so make sure who ever scans your truck can scan the trans.

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Also look under your 'Burb near the transmission for fluid. If the tranny gets hot it will blow trans fluid out the trans vent.
  3. deerslayer

deerslayer New Member

Thanks for replying. I'm going to take it up to Autozone and have them scan it. I heard you need some sort of special card to scan the tranny. If it blows some fluid out the vent, how does that affect shifting into overdrive. I checked the fluid level and it was OK. No burnt smell.
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I don't think AutoZone's have scanners, they have code readers. Most likely you need to go to a dealer or transmission shop so they can do a live data scan while driving the truck.
  5. deerslayer

deerslayer New Member

Well, Autozone's scanner spit out code #P0753 1-2 shift selonoid valve. I did some research and found this controls shifting between 1-2 and 3-4(OD) which is exactly what mine is doing.It's inside the trans which means I'm going to do a trans service which prob time again for it anyway. I'm having hard time finding the part and making sure it is the correct part. Descriptions on some websites are very vague. I found them for around $12.00 so far. Is the 4L60E the trans model in my Suburban. Again, it's a 2000 Suburban, K1500, 4WD, 5.3L w/4spd A/T and it has the tow pkg on it w/tow/haul button and the coolers.
  6. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

Look in your glove box for the lable that lists your rpo codes. Then go to compnine.com plug in your vin# & code & they will show you parts descriptions for your vehicle & trans.
  7. deerslayer

deerslayer New Member

Cool link. Told me all I needed to know. Thanks Much!
  8. deerslayer

deerslayer New Member

Well Gentlemen, I replaced the 1-2,3-4 shift solenoid. While I had it apart I replaced the 2-3 solenoid cause it's right beside it. Solenoids were around $12.00 a piece. Filter w/gasket was around $15.00. The trans fluid was $8.00 a quart. I used the Castrol Mercon VI. The Mobil was $10.00 a quart. Everyone online said it would take 5 qts., but mine took 6 qts. My Suburban had the deep pan on it so I guess that was the difference. I have alot of auto mech expierience and it took me less than an hour. Hardest part was trying to drop pan past bracket for shift linkage. Pryed on it a little and worked the pan a little bit and it comes right down. Truck shifts great and runs fine. Thanks for all of your input.
  9. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

glad that you found the problem and was an easy fix for you.
  10. sflynn006

sflynn006 New Member

Do you know which of the solenoids is which? 1-2 on right or left? Also, where were you able to find the solenoids for $12 a piece? I've been to Autozone and they pulled up multiple solenoids on when looking for the part. Any parts number for the solenoids would be great! Thanks