Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Won't start on first try !

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by bazar01, Apr 11, 2012.

1. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Does not matter whether on a cold or warm engine, it takes two tries to start the engine. What could be causing this? If the spark is missing, it should not start at all. Am I correct to assume this is fuel related? 2001 Suburban with 150k miles and original fuel pump.

I am not familiar with my 2001 Suburban so I have a few questions.
    1 Does the fuel pump have a check valve that could be bleeding and causing loss of fuel pressure?
    2. Is my fuel pump getting weak?
    3. What tools do I need to check the fuel system?
    4. Where is the fuel pump?
    5. Is the fuel pump easy to replace?
    6. I plan to keep and maintain it for a long time. What is a good service manual?

Thanks.

2. Naptime

Naptime Rockstar 100 Posts

Yep. Probably fuel pressure regulator. But could be Pump, filter, or a combo. At that milage it's about when those issues show up.

Search the forum. Tons of good info on how to check pressure and what it should be. Chilton's or Haynes, both have their fans. Or you could get a digital manual on eBay real cheap. They seem to be very good as well. Might want to check Autozone.com. They have on-line manuals and how to's. Not sure if they still have the 2001 info up.

3. bazar01

Thank you.

Is there an external fuel filter I can replace aside from the in-tank filter?

4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

should just be in tank and possibly with a 2001 its part of the fuel pump and cant be replaced seperately

5. Naptime

Don't know.. This looks like there's one one the driver's side forward of the tank..
    [​IMG]

6. bazar01

thanks guys. i will check it out tonight.

7. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

That would be nice. wasnt quite sure, just knew by 2004 they got rid of an external one

8. bazar01

Yes, I have an external filter in front of the ABS pump and controller after crawling underneath. Thanks. Now I need to buy the correct filter and change it out before my long trip to Atlanta.

9. Naptime

Hopefully that is the problem. Check that pressure too!

10. janikphoto

janikphoto Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

If you haven't done it yet, you mind as well do some preventative maintenance, anyway... plugs, filters, etc. If any/all of the regular maintenance items are worn, they could be adding to your existing problem.