Wont start sounds like tommy gun

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 99Burbon4544x4, Nov 2, 2009.

1. 99Burbon4544x4

99Burbon4544x4 New Member

so i drove my truck all day and its started fine tonight i go to start it and it sounds like a tommy gun and doesnt do anything i have a 1999 chevy suburban 454 4x4 3/4ton i went and got battery and starter checked both good so just in case i bought a starter still does same thing i go to start it and it just clicks and nothing kicks over if anyone know what i can do ill appriate it its my only vehicle or if you know where i can call or go to ask

2. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

so it doesnt even turn over?just the clicks?

3. 99Burbon4544x4

yea just clicks like really fast but sounds like its not touching fly wheel but you hear it push out so i have no clue i tried rolling it in gear to see if maybe im missing some teeth on fly wheel i just bought the suburban liek 3 days ago and all worked fine when i checked it out before buying lol isnt that how it always is

4. redneckarmyMP

haha i know the feeling..it definatly sounds like an electrical problem to me.id check the battery cable and make sure there are no loose wires on the alternator.if it still doesnt do it id try a new battery

5. 99Burbon4544x4

battery was check its good 100% and i checked all wires all are fine i mean its been starting fine past three days till now

6. redneckarmyMP

ive never trusted those battery checks..ive had them test good but still werent any good

7. 99Burbon4544x4

well ill try that i might just as well buy the optima yellow top like i wanted to haha

8. redneckarmyMP

there you go!thats a good place to start so you KNOW it has a good charge

9. chevyman1297

chevyman1297 New Member

Had the same problem with my 97 silverado.... put a new starter on and it did the same thing... Finally traced it back to the battery cables at the battery.... they were corroded and weren't getting enough juice through to the starter... I would definately try to clean those and the battery posts really well and spray some wd-40 on it and put them back before I bought a new battery.

hope this helps

Jason