Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

wont start

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by jprimrose4292, Jun 5, 2009.

1. jprimrose4292

jprimrose4292 Member

went to start the burban today and nothing. have power. connections are good checked them and battery has power. lights come on.... bout a month a go when using the gear selector it wouldnt move had to force it into gear to get it home. with that in mind I am leaning toward the park/nuetral safety switch. what do you guys think?

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It could be the neutral switch. Try starting it reverse, neutral & drive. Sometimes the switch can come out of adjustment. Make sure your foot is on the brake. Do your back up lights work?

3. jprimrose4292

jprimrose4292 Member

tried starting it in a gear and no luck. So i guess im going to have to pull it apart and have a looksee.

4. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Yep, NS Switch, all other functions fine, jamming into park????? Look at the rod going down from the column to the switch, is it bent????? Not hitting the switch completely????
    Jeff

5. jprimrose4292

jprimrose4292 Member

replaced the switch still no go. doing the same thing. lights do come on in reverse. guess im gonna have to start over make sure I didnt overlook something

6. Jimmiee

It may be your ignition switch. If it were my truck I would eliminate the starter first. Turn the ignition on and with the truck in Park and the e brake applied jump the 2 terminals on your starter solenoid. The safest way to do this is with someone standing on the brake pedal. If the truck starts you know the problem is upstream somewhere between the ignition switch and the starter. If the truck does not start, you have just found the problem. Bad starter or solenoid.

7. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Good advice, but not the best practice> I would be incline with the newer models to remove the unit(STARTER/Solenoid) and bench test them, rather than sending a surge to the rest of the electronic. The old days was good for the screwdriver to the terminal test, but not with the PCM's now....You can also use a Meter to test also....

Jeff

8. Jimmiee

When you turn the key the ignition switch sends 12 volts to the starter solenoid to energize it. Jumping the solenoid will prove it works or not and the feedback voltage on the s wire will only go back to the ignition switch which is an open circuit with the key in the run position. Take a look at the wiring diagram.

9. Jimmiee

Here's a wiring diagram

View attachment 2902

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  10. jprimrose4292

jprimrose4292 Member

ok have a remote start switch used it for the first time. great lil tool. lol. fired right up. One thing I have noticed is that it seems like the key isn't turning to the full start position. I have no way to check that because I dont have anouther chevy around that year. but if there all the same then the problem lies with the ignition switch.