1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Woodgrain upgrade...

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by moogvo, Aug 5, 2012.

1. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Ever since I got this truck, I have missed my old '95 which was an American Luxury Coach conversion. As much as I didn't care for the wood grain dash kit at the time, I have caught myself looking at the kits online... to the tune of about $300.00.

Yesterday while at the junk yard, I found a Tahoe with a full wood grain trimmed interior. Before I knew what was happening, I was taking out all of the parts I could use. I installed them yesterday afternoon and this is how it turned out.

2012-08-05_20-17-37_234.jpg 2012-08-05_20-17-45_135.jpg 2012-08-05_20-18-03_427.jpg 2012-08-05_20-18-21_744.jpg 2012-08-05_20-19-08_480.jpg 2012-08-05_20-19-25_505.jpg
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Very nice!
  3. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Nice job, I like it! Looks like the parts were in good shape too. And the interior looks very clean as well, reminds me I have to clean mine :money:
  4. RFoster130

RFoster130 Member

Personally I hate the wood grain. It annoys me they choose to put it in the newer trucks. I wish I could have got my 2012 Tahoe without it. As long as you like it though, thats all that matters. :great:
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I think it depends on the type of wood grain and the stain. I think it looks great.

How hard was it to take apart at the boneyard and then to install?
  6. Patman

Patman Rockstar

that looks great... keep up the good work
  7. moogvo

It wasn't bad. The pieces were all held on with small Phillips screws. I had all of the pieces out in about 20 minutes. The most difficult was the instrument cluster which was 4 screws to remove the cluster and about 2 minutes to pop off the lens. The overlay was attached with 2 sided foam tape. I also snagged the needles from the cluster. They were nice and orange, while mine had faded to yellow.

The gauge overlay was made for a truck with an automatic transmission, so the shift light is not cut out, which is ok because the light drove me nuts anyway. There is also a blank cutout on the bottom right of the overlay where the automatic cluster says "Press brake to shift from park". I may take it back off and print a label that says "Unleaded Fuel Only" to fill the empty slot.

Otherwise, the rest of it was small Phillips screws. I was careful not to drop any of the screws during disassembly. I made minor repairs to the pieces, lined them up and drilled pilot holes for all of the parts. The drivers side door has cigarette burns in the cloth inlay on the door panel and these covered them up completely. It was a great solution to a minor problem.

I would have never done this to a pristine dash or doors. Had there not been flaws to hide, I would have left it alone. The up side to this is that replacement parts are easily found at this particular junk yard, so if I ever want to change it back, I will be able to do so.

The Tahoe had a nice overhead console that I may go back for... I DID just have the headliner replaced though, and I am not in a hurry to cut it up...

So, in total, the junk yard parts that make up my interior are the seats, glove box door, power window switches, climate control head, passengers side air vents, dash top cup holder/tray inlay, slide cup holder, steering wheel, wood grain trim, cluster overlay and power outlets/ash tray assembly (I didn't like the big ash tray the 95 came with, so I changed it out with the 96-98 style)... I think that's all on the interior up until now...

I understand that the wood grain is not for everyone, and I have never been a big fan of it either, but it is a definite improvement to my particular truck. With the manual shift, it looked sort of "baseline"... so I am happy with it... Gives it a conversion truck look... Less "work trucky".

Thank you for all of the kind words. I am still "getting used to it".
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  8. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Nice work, I like the way that turned out.
  9. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

looks good man.

i really like it.

Alex
  10. moogvo

thanks guys!