1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Worst GM Customer Service Experience Ever

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by medicmatt, Feb 10, 2012.

1. medicmatt

medicmatt New Member

I'm going to vent...just be warned and turn away if you don't want to see it.

So on this past Saturday, I take my truck that I just bought in December to a local Chevy dealer (not where I bought it, that dealership is 2 hours away) to get an oil change and figure out what this squeak/squeal in my front end was at low speeds when braking or leaving from a stop. It has 3400 miles since I bought it. So after checking it out, they say my front brakes are locked up, the pads are excessively worn and the rotors are "blued". So they are going to have to replace them, and can't order til Monday, but they hope to get it to me on Monday. Give me a loaner with 1/4 tank of gas, and tell me to drive that the next few days.

On Monday, they wait until ~4:30pm to call me and ask me if I want aftermarket products on any of this. They also tell me this isn't going to be covered under the GM Certified Warranty. So the truck won't be ready Monday. On Tuesday, I get a response from the dealer I bought it from saying that they would like to talk to them and see what's going on so they can work it out. I relay that message when I speak to the current dealership on Tuesday afternoon. During this call, they tell me the rear brakes are squeaking now too, and one of the drums needs to be replaced, the other turned to repair. Still...no truck. Wednesday, after lunch, they still haven't called my purchase dealer and it takes me calling to ask again for them to do it. They finally do, and get the paperwork faxed over. Late Wednesday, I get a call saying the truck is ready, but they want to keep it for another day until they can talk to the service manager.

Finally yesterday, I get a call late in the day, that the truck is ready. After much "discussion" they can do nothing to help me out. They blame the pads and rotors as having rust "from the salty air" where I bought the truck from. They will do nothing to help, saying it's normal wear and tear...REALLY?! 3400 miles is normal wear and tear for something that sat there on the lot for less than a month and hasn't been near salt since?! After lacing into both the service rep and the service manager on the phone and getting nowhere and no help, I was told "you didn't buy the truck from us, so I think we did more than we had to by giving you a loaner". They wouldn't even agree to fill my truck up to compensate for having to fill their car since they didn't do it before giving it to me, and I had to keep it longer than expected, "our car gets better gas mileage, the way I see it you came out ahead" So I show up and the service manager apologizes for my "inconvenience" and takes about $50 off my $770 bill. I proceeded to calmly, yet angrily explain my frustration with the dealership to both the service manager and the sales manager and informed that this was an opportunity for them to earn my business for the lifetime of this truck, and they failed miserably. I told them how I haven't ever bought from them because this is the same stunts their sales people do. But I hoped that the service would be better. I told them I will never set foot on their property again if I can help it, and that I'll drive 2 hours to go to the dealership I purchased it from just for an oil change before I go back to this dealer.

Today, I call Chevrolet's main corporate number and lodge a complaint. Not because I had a $700+ bill, but because I feel like this was the most inept, and rude service I've ever had. I can't believe he said "you didn't buy the truck from us, so I think we did more than we had to by giving you a loaner". My only complaint with the bill is that I can't see how anyone can say that 3400 miles constitutes normal wear and tear. Chevrolet calls the dealer I went to, the service manager relays the same story I did, and so the decision stands...normal wear and tear, nothing is covered. So should Chevrolet stop selling vehicles near the oceans, or anywhere that might get snow because they salt the roads, otherwise their brakes can't handle more than 3400 miles. And 5 days to do an oil change and a brake job?! REALLY?!

Only good thing is that my original dealer is going to try and help and make things right to some degree because they don't agree with what this dealer says, and they feel like I've gotten the runaround (and I agree).

The mother of all irony, I get in the truck to drive off the lot and here's what my paper floor mat reads: "Customer Satisfaction Is Our #1 Goal"...EPIC FAIL!
  2. ajarman

ajarman New Member 1000 Posts

With working at a Chevy dealership in the past I would not have paid that bill until I talked to the general manager of the dealership. Did you buy this truck on the western or eastern part of the state?
  3. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max New Member 1000 Posts

I would have refused to pay the bill and I would make a call to the BBB to make a report against this shady dealership. No truck with 3400 miles should have worn out brake period!!!,
  4. medicmatt

medicmatt New Member

I would have refused, but the work was done and I wanted my truck back. I have some things in the works, we'll see what pans out. Be careful of that salt air though Red. BTW I will be Myrtle in April.
  5. Warped5

Warped5 New Member

From personal experience, calling the BBB is pontless. All they do is record the complaint; they have no 'teeth' to do anything on your behalf. If anyone inquires at BBB about a particular company, all they will say is that complaints have/haven't been made.
  6. zigger215

zigger215 New Member

Damn that's miserable man. We have a lithia dealer up here and I could right a novel based on my experiences there. Luckily the GM dealer (directly across the street) do have a desire to provide quality customer service
  7. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

Matt which part of the state do you live in. I ask because I bought my truck at one dealer but there is a closer one. I want to get the TSB done for the cab noise. I would prefer take it to the dealer closer but, if I am going to get hassled than I may just drive the 30 miles to take it to the place I bought it from.
  8. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max New Member 1000 Posts

I have almost 7000 on mine and it sits most of the time so you know what my rotors look like here next to the beach. I have never had a problem with them or have they squealed. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. Give me a PM when you are heading in town and if I'm not working we can try and get together.
  9. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Matt....First off I wanted to express, that I'm Sorry your having to deal with a Dealership that does not care about Customer Service and Second is......you have my Respect for the way you have handled yourself in this Thread, in explaining what has happened, without getting pissed-off!!......which IMO you have Every Right To Do So, for the way this was handled by a Dealership that Once again, Does Not Care about Customer Service.......I Hope as you mentioned the Following....(Only good thing is that my original dealer is going to try and help and make things right to some degree because they don't agree with what this dealer says, and they feel like I've gotten the runaround (and I agree)).....Your Dealership Does Steps Up and Does try to do the right thing in Correcting this Issue/Problem for you. .....Wishing you Good Luck, and Keep us up dated......:great:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  10. grape2

grape2 New Member

In 2002, I went to work for a Dodge dealer with that mentallity. They refused to work on anything not purchased there. It took about 6 months to change that attitude. My labor rate was 64 per hour warranty or customer pay. I took the owner for a tour through the shop one day, I had nine stalls and there were vehicles in 8 of them. Not one had our company name on the back, I said I can make 64 an hour working on these or sent them home and you make no money today. After that, he never said another thing. Not picking on the make, but I see more of this at GM dealers including here in town. You had to sign a statement saying if they decide it was not warranty you had to pay. I have seen a service manager charge a customer for recall warranty work. To me they lost a great chance to make a new customer. I really think the service department reputation can sell more cars for a dealer than all the advertisement. The worst part is that GM offered no help showing they support the dealer decision. You were screwed. Wear items are still covered 12/12000 and I have known GM to cover brakes for 36/36000. Stick with the selling dealer they sound like a fair place for service.