1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Worth switching Engine Oil?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Big_Ben, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Big_Ben

Big_Ben Rockstar 100 Posts

My truck is due for an oil change fairly soon and I've used Mobil 1 Synthetic since I've owned it. It now has 205,000km (127,000mi) on it and I was thinking of switching to dino oil. More specifically, Castrol GTX. I've heard wonderful things about it's sludge cleaning capabilities and dependability. On top of the $30 savings it would give me, I was thinking it might be better for a higher mileage engine like mine.

Is there any benefit to staying with Mobil 1 or going to Castrol or is it all the same?
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Well you got over 205,000 km on Mobil 1 and its still running. If you changed the Mobil 1 when recommended then you shouldn't have any sludge in the motor. I'd stick with the Mobil 1.
  3. grape2

grape2 Member

I agree with staying with mobil1. If you switch they recommend you stay will the same weight. We were always told it is okay to switch as long as you keep the same weight.
  4. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have actually been using either Mobile 1 or Royale Purple.

That is until now.

Just switched to Amsoil, cause it was almost $2 a qt cheaper.

Hoping it was a worth while risk.

We shall see...
  5. dedmon27

dedmon27 Rockstar 100 Posts

I would stick with Mobile 1 or any full synthetic oil. I wouldn't go to dino oil. All motor oil has to pass government standards and tests, others just go above and beyond. I use full synthetic Castrol. You shouldn't have to worry about sludge. Back in high school auto class I worked on a teachers (female) car. I had to do intake gaskets. It was the dirtiest sludgiest engine I've ever worked on to this day. I asked her and she rarely had her oil changed, and her drive to school was less than five minutes. In Ohio with the winters the engine never warmed up to get rid of the condinsation.
  6. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I would stick with what has worked for you til this point. The old saying if it aint broke don't fix it comes to mind.
  7. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I have been using the normal (not full synthetic) Castrol GTX 5w-30 in my tuck and I have the opposite question...... I was looking to go full synthetic. Either Castol full synthetic or the Mobil 1 and was not sure if I should do it. I am sitting at 206k on the engine.
  8. Strino78

Strino78 Member

Synthetic oils will remove sludge build-up on internals and around gaskets. Synthetics usually get blamed for oil leaks, when in fact all it is doing is showing where there has always been a leak that has been plugged by sludge. At 206K miles on that engine I'd recommend you keep using conventional dino oil. Its a little too late in the game to convert over to synthetic because it's likely to spring a few leaks as the synthetic does its job.

If you want to play it safe just switch to a high milage conventional oil.