1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

worth the money ?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by ed09, Nov 16, 2009.

1. ed09

ed09 New Member

hi you guy's
    i'm thinking of buying a cold air intake for my 09 ,
    will be the same for 07 and up i think , but i seen
    prices and holy smoke , thats quit a bit of money
    for a piece of pipe and a filter , or am i wrong ?
    so what do you guy's think , does it make sense
    or its just a scam , lol :):sign0023:
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

To me NO they are not worth the money, I spent $279 for my las K&N and all it did was make the engine run hotter and bog down. But it's one of those things that I think everybody does just to say they have one, it's like a set of wheels you really don't need them but everyone else has them s then you want one.

Although on my new truck I am going to get the Volant setup with the cold air scoop, and that setup is going to run me about $500, so I didn't learn either but this time I am going with an all plastic setup and an enclosed filter box. My first one had the metal tube and open air element, plus the Volant has the ram air tube which I think is a cool feature. :money:
  3. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I put a K&N 77-Series on my Av and got some mileage gains... I didn't feel any "seat of my pants" gains, but I'me sure I picked up a couple HP... I can hear the engine more too... BUt That doesn't bother me... I haven't run intop a heat problem like TRPLXL2, my engine temps actually went down alittle...
  4. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site!:glasses: Glad to have you here!
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

My truck ran 20 degrees hotter with that intake, because when I put the stock air box back on it was noticeable right away. Mine could have been because of the gearing and tires, I had 5.13 gears with 35" tires wearing on that 5.3 motor. It might have been choking the motor in my case, even though I had dual exhaust. All I know is I was very unimpressed with it's performance, but we will see what happens with this Volant I am going to get.
  6. s5belford

s5belford Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

09's are different from 07-08. I believe volant is the only maker for 09 so DO NOT buy unless it says made for 09, the air boxes are different and they wont work.

Good luck!
  7. XS ive

XS ive Rockstar 100 Posts

I think the MAF sensor is actually mounted on the box in 2009 instead of the tube? Something like that, but at any rate, an 08 will not fit.
    I put a Volant on my 2008/CC/5.3l/dual catback/6"lift/35"tires and saw my local mpg go from 12.7 to over 15. No, I am not on the throttle much. I didn't buy this truck to go fast... I bought it to go in style. :glasses:
  8. ed09

ed09 New Member

ok , thanx guy's
    gonna do a bit of research on the net and we'll see
    and i didn't know that the 09 was different from the 07 and 08
    so learned a lesson today :rules: