Would Chevy implement a RamBox like feature?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by cyberpine, Mar 3, 2012.

1. cyberpine

cyberpine Rockstar

Eventhough the first versiosn of the Dodge RamBox have not been perfect.. issues with lid fading and cheap plastic containers.. the idea is simply brilliant IMO and a really desireable and successful option. Word is Dodge is going ot make it available in all its trucks in 2013.

I would be incredible if Chevy returned to the side step design in 2014 making the wheel wells extra fat and distinctive and then used rear wheel space for a hard sheetmetal deep storage boxes. I find a perfectly square 4x8 bed to be perfect and visually appealing. Any legal reason Chevy (and Ford) could not copy the feature?

2. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I think it's possible but GM would have to be very careful how they design and implement the feature. It's a really neat feature, utilizing space that's already there for storage and eliminating the need for toolboxes and other extraneous storage.

3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Helloooo Chevy has had it since 02 on the Avalanche...... and it's water tight...

4. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

This is true lol, definitely totally forgot about that feature.

5. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Would have been perfect on the 88-98 stepsides.

6. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'd definitely give an upgrade a look if they offered it.

7. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

its an interesting thought to be sure, im not so sure id like it tho, at least not how dodge did it, to me, it ruins the lines of the bed, with the latch area, and the seams for the lid.

just my opinion tho.

Alex

8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I like the concept, they did it very well with with Avalanche and you could almost argue that the Ram copied the concept from the Avalanche. :) For me, I'm CONSTANTLY needing extra space so this would be perfect for me and even if it were an option only on some models, I would probably end up getting it for sure.

9. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You beat me to it! :lol:

Anyway, I've taken a look at the ram box system and I prefer my Avalanche. The ram box is wider but not as deep. It's about the same length, but the ram box would make putting long things in it easier. BUT, because it is so shallow, I don't think I would be able to fit my tool set into it that I always keep in the saddlebag of my Avalanche. My storage might be narrow, but that tool set fits in there and the storage is deep enough to get the whole thing in.

10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Butthead: Uh, huh huh, huh huh huh, huh huh.
    Beavis: Shaddup, Butthead!