1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

would you buy this Youkon XL?

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by javojjaaf, Aug 13, 2009.

1. javojjaaf

javojjaaf New Member

i found a what looks to be a mint 2000 youkon xl for a GREAT price, but it has 213,000 "highway" miles on it. i need a larger suv like this for road trips with my wife, three dogs, and our new born. i have to get someone to look at it for me because im deployed, but they know what to be looking for. i just wanted to see what you all think about the deal and what you think is going to be some of the first things to go on it. here is the link to it on craigslist....

http://shreveport.craigslist.org/ctd/1312691512.html

thanks!
  2. moosetags

moosetags New Member

If the price is right, it could be a decent deal.

If the 2000 has an engine hours meter (I know the 2001's did) divide the odometer reading by the engine run hours. This will give you the average MPH. If it truly has 'highway miles' the figure should be well into the 30's; the higher the number, the better. If the figure is in the low 20's or below, it is not a majority highway miles vehicle. If this is the case, I would be seriously cautious.

If this vehicle has the hours meter, you can get to this figure by holding the trip meter reset button for about five seconds and the run hours will appear in the odometer readout. Do this with the engine turned off.

Another consideration with a vehicle of this age is the other systems like the air conditioning, transmission, power window motors, and brakes. All of these are big investments when they go out. Factor these things in when deciding if it is a good deal or not.

Brian
  3. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts

First of all, Thanks for your service! Looks like a nice clean vehicle, but that is a lot of miles. I would require a "Carfax" report on it and like mentioned above, replacing the tranny or AC is going to get expensive in a hurry! Good luck!
  4. RedHoe01

RedHoe01 New Member

I have seen some in Dallas with about 100K less miles for $6500ish. Might be worth the extra money for alot less miles.
  5. RedHoe01

RedHoe01 New Member

6. javojjaaf

javojjaaf New Member

not a problem, and thanks for the good words!
  7. bruceb3

bruceb3 New Member

Thanks Moosetags!

Shoot, I didn't even know a thing about an hour meter on my '02 Tahoe! Great tip. It turns out my vehicle has 101,686 miles with 2603 hours which is an average of 38 mph. The original owner was from upper Michigan and I had hoped it was mostly highway but your tip confirmed it. This tip alone made this forum worth reading. Thanks again.
  8. Razorback58

Razorback58 New Member

I also want to say thanks for your service! One thing to consider is that you mentioned that you want to use this to take trips with your wife and newborn. Not trying to be a buzz killer, but that's an awful lot of miles on a vehicle to be trusting to take care of your wife and baby on long trips. It's just my .02 worth, but I might consider looking for something with less miles if I were you.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
  9. javojjaaf

javojjaaf New Member

hey, thanks! no problem on my service to you all! i ended up not getting the truck, insted i decided to put a lear cap on my 98 Z71. i can keep the dogs back there on the trips and have the cab open to the wife and my son....and my truck only has 115,000 on the dash so much better for a long haul!

thanks every one for your input