GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Would you openly carry a firearm into Culver's?

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by trapstud, Sep 29, 2010.

1. trapstud

trapstud New Member

I found this interesting article about my state. Unfortunately there is not yet a conceal carry law in WI.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/loc...cc4c03286.html

On a side note a few miles from where I live there was a story of the police charging a guy in his early 20's for openly carrying within 1000 ft. of a school. He was riding his bike to a friends house to show off his new gun. It turned out he was more than 950ft away. I understand how bystanders would be concerned though because he was dressed in camo.
  2. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 New Member

Unless I had a badge on my belt right next to my holster, I would not open carry anywhere but the range or my own land. I just think that it attracts far too much attention. I see no benefit in open carrying a weapon as an average citizen. But that's just me.

And yes... Haha... a civilian wearing camo in the middle of the city screams survivalist (or just plain weird). I wouldn't call the police but I could see where people would feel uneasy by someone in BDUs openly carrying a pistol.

But again, this is all just my opinion.
  3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

Madison is a University town-liberal I guess with plenty of young people who aren't gun fans. A guy with a pistol strapped to his belt-in camouflage-would scare lots of folks.
    If he were riding by and stopped by my house-I would get out a pistol-SIG 229- or a rifle Mini 14(probably the pistol since I keep a loaded clip in it-but if I had the time, I would get the rifle-obvious reasons) -until he was out of reasonable gun shot range.No way would I just assume he was ok(not a crazed mf).

Of course,I'm maybe a little bit extreme-like Vincennes says-Just my opinion.
    Another subject-I really don't want to see guns openly carried at a political rally-don't care if it is legal or not-I have no idea if that gun carrying guy is a crazy SOB or just a guy making a point.No I won't give him the benefit of doubt. I would leave.Conceal your gun, so I don't have to worry about your state of mind.

Displayed weapons are always veiled threats. Scrawny cop has a gun displayed for a reason."See this gun-Do what I say or I'll shoot you."
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member

My wife and I carry guns with us everywhere we go. We have permits and we use our heads. You don't walk into a bank, government or school building with it. Our local Walmart posted signs on the front doors stating no firearms allowed. There were people walking into the store with there sidearms, I can understand why they would get nervous. Around here if people called the police everytime there was a person in camo then the police would be VERY busy.
  5. stephan

stephan New Member

Phoebeisis quote of the month winner:

"Scrawny cop has a gun displayed for a reason."See this gun-Do what I say or I'll shoot you."
    Ha ha ha, now that's funny!!!

Makes me wonder how many tickets I would have gotten for speeding and mile high trucks if cops weren't wearing guns. hmmm? I don't think I would have accepted any of them ;-)
  6. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

Silverado-do you carry concealed- or open? Permit-so must be concealed.
    Concealed doesn't bother me.
    Open carry of a pistol-now I have to worry about it.Just who are they warning-open carry is a warning to someone/everyone.
    Besides I don't want someone to know that I have a $500 handgun on me.
    Heck, he might just shoot me for the $500 gun! It is like displaying a wallet with a wad of cash in it.What good can come of it?
    Besides-some folks spend HUGE $$-$2000-on fancy 1911 type carry guns.Doesn't seem like a great idea to wave that kind of cash around.
    Same reason cow towns didn't allow open carry-drunks crazies and idiots who get angry.
    I don't care about the camo- it is the 1000 fps metal spitter he has that worries me.
    Just makes me nervous. I want to get my gun just in case they are a CMF.

Stephan-do I get a prize!?

What is Culvers?
  7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member

Yes phoebeisis they are concealed. I agree I don't want some stranger seeing what we have.
  8. stephan

stephan New Member

Phoebeisis;
    Well you certainly deserve a prize but I have nothing to give. My reward was 5 minutes of rauchous laughter. I'm still chuckling when I think about it. It was just perfect phraseing & word choice and really hit me.

As far as "open carry" I think most people do it because CCP are difficult to obtain in a LOT of states & counties, but there are open carry laws already on the books, hence they open carry. Here in my county, you either have to take the class (a good thing in a lot of cases) OR you can show military records showing that you were/are proficient in the use of the same type of weapon that you wish to carry. I tried to get a CCP on this basis when my military rec were still current, but the Co. sheriff can still make the final decision 'yes or no" and I think he denied me because of his personal feelings (because of my traffic tickets) the mutt just didn't like me. I've never been arrested, detained, nothing!! The only reason I could think of he denied me is I had a few traffic tickets.

Glad you weren't flooded out. A lot of us were thinking about all of you when Kat was going on. We watched it on the news every night.

Ditto on the "Culvers" question. What is a Culvers Trapstud? Is it a coffee house like Starbucks? Out here Starbucks (& many other businesses) stand by its patrons on "open carry" laws. It was a big issue a few months back when Sarah Brady and HCI was trying to bash Starbucks and stir the pot about it. The "Brady Bunch" & HCI ended up looking like a bunch of fools, which of course is normal for them since they've never read the Constitution ha ha ha

p.s.
    OK WHO put that ugly picture of "Billary" beside my post? I don't mind, but would rather be lookin at Paris Hilton, or Natalie Cigliutti. Just so you know I, we, family, friends, dogs, cats and rats all signed that petition months ago, (even my imaginary friends signed it) It is not a one person per email petition, so get all your friends and family to sign it too ;-)

Newbie question: How DO I put an ad beside my posts like you did?
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

Stephan- you have a Jenson Bike shop ad next to your post right now (I occasionally bought stuff from them-good prices-when I wasn't broke)
    Trapstud has a Goodwrench oil change ad-
    Vincennes,Silverado and I don't rate any ad now.
    Maybe I should bust a cap on those discriminatory ads!
    We got lucky on the water.

I occasionally conceal a pistol and carry it-no permit-just going somewhere at night where I figure it could be useful.
    Usually the only time I have one is when we are driving at night in the city-legal to have one in your car. Don't every walk up to a white 1998 Suburban and ask for a cigarette or anything else.
  10. Vincennes02261897

Phoebeisis, YOu have a Swiffer aisle Walmart ad on your post. Haha. I think Google is having an awfully hard time deciding which ads are most relevent for this conversation.

Anyway, I was about to ask Phoebeisis where he is buying guns for $500. Haha. That sounds like a pretty decent deal to me!
  11. trapstud

trapstud New Member

They are getting closer with their ads it says personal security. I think that it searches for words on the page. By the way Culvers is a made to order fast food/ ice cream chain in the midwest.
  12. stephan

stephan New Member

Ha ha ha Phoebeisis, it's now 6:50 Pacific my time, and I don't rate no stinkin ad beside my post either. Vincennes has a bitchin "Front Sight Firearms Training" ad beside his, and Trapstud has a GM brake pad special beside his. all others are blank.

Who actually puts the ads beside our posts? I actually liked the Hillary ad because of 2nd amendment issues and in MHO she & the United Nations can just eat their lunch right outta my septic tank. The only reason I commented about Paris vs. Hillarys ugly mug was.... well Paris is georgeous and... well lets say Hillary is slightly politically challenged, and to me that makes her ugly.

Seriously, If one of you or another poster put it there please put it back. I was so suprised to see a politically conservative ad right beside my post that it shocked me at first and so I edited my post and put the p.s. in there. I was afraid the moderators or webmaster might be p. liberals and bump me off the site.

To whoever can do it: Go ahead and put it back, but at the very least try and "photoshop" a pic of John Wayne, Charlton Heston, Ted Nugent, Chuck Norris, Wayne LaPierre... anyone of the multitude of 2A supporters rather than Hillarys mug, ha ha ha
  13. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

Vincennes-
    All my gun transactions have gone the other way for years. A M-63 4" J-FRAME SS 22 NIB-sold for $350 at gun show in Kenner La.-Nice pistol-hated to sell it.Kit gun was what S&W used to call it.
    Tried to sell a M-38- alloy frame-nickel frame shrouded hammer 38 J Frame-couldn't get $350 for it-slight holster wear.
    I'm down to the Sig 229,Glock 27, M-38, Beretta m-21 22-nickel, M-19 2.5" nickel 357,Mini 14, SKS, 10/22 BLUE with the hammered bull barrel, a Win 190 22(bought new mail order in 1965 or so-$40 or so when you could still mail order guns-had to get Dad to sign since I was 14 yo), another 22 rifle-Rem 520?? or something-nice rifle.

used to have many,many, many guns-strictly fun-reload-lost interest in hunting many many years ago, but it is none of my business that others hunt(brother hunts everything in Alabama- he is in Enterprise).
    In the wild almost all animals get eaten alive-so a bullet is probably a pretty good way to die. Not my business-but shooting straight is to be encouraged.
    There are plenty of used $500 handguns-new ones also.
    Now the 1911 style ones with all the carry stuff(smoothed, fancy safety,fancy trigger, overly tight barrel fit) they get pricey-$2000 easy.

Charlie
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  14. Vincennes02261897

Ha... I was just messing with you. I bought my Springfield Gi.45 1911 used for $350. It had about 100 rounds through it and no holster wear so I got a pretty dang good deal. It was a learning purchase though so I've made enough upgrades to it by now that it's not quite the same gun that it was initially. How do you like that Sig? I've got a Glock 23 RTF2 that I recently purchased and I don't know how much I like it. It's a great pistol, don't get me wrong, I'm just not very good with it. It may be the grip angle. Anyway, I'm thinking about trading up for a Sig.
  15. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

Vincennes-
    I prefer the Sig 229 to the Glock 27.
    I shoot slightly better with the 229.

I should like the Glock 27 more-with a 23 mag and adapter- the 27 holds 13 rounds, and it is a bit lighter.
    I just like the hand feel-I have smallish hands- of Sigs over Glocks.
    I shoot just fine with that Glock, but the trigger pull is JUST STRANGE!
    The Sig has a nice long 1st shot double action trigger pull-like a good S&W revolver-no grungy creep or strangeness.No way you can accidently pull the trigger with a 1/2" 12 lb trigger pull-I like that extra bit of safety on the 1st round.If it goes off it is because I intended it to go off, not because I nervously squeezed the trigger a bit too hard.

The Glock has a longish pull, but it is the typical weird grungy, creepy fairly low effort-maybe 5 lbs max-Glock trigger pull. I shoot fine with it-and you would really have to work at having it go off accidently(trigger safety means it just can't go off by being snagged by something-not easily anyway).
    It is a very safe accurate gun, but I like the Sig better. I just prefer the traditional feeling trigger pull.

I'm pretty sure Glocks actually deliver more velocity per inch of barrel than Sigs or any other pistol-something to do with how they rifle it-lower resistance in the barrel means more velocity.Glocks usually deliver the highest velocity when compared 1" per 1"

Lot to be said for Glocks-I hope to keep this Glock(broke in debt etc) but I will sell the Glock before the Sig.
    Mainly just the trigger-I'm old-59-and the Sig has a traditional feeling trigger(nice sights also-points nice also).
    Charlie