Wrangler Authority Tires at Walmart

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by BlackBeast, May 6, 2013.

1. BlackBeast

BlackBeast New Member

Yes, these tires are only sold at Walmart, no where else. That's why I was questioning it.

2. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'd pass.

Do you have a Discount Tire near you? They match prices and have a huge selection.

3. BlackBeast

BlackBeast New Member

Yes, I will pass. There is one an hour away, but my local tire shop has the top 3 tires that I'm looking at, priced pretty well with rebates on top of that. I've narrowed it down to the BFG's, Cooper at3, or duratecs.

4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That means the vendor wanted Walmart to carry their tires and Walmart laid in some conditions ... and the vendor produced something to meet them. Price is usually the sticky point ... and for tires that means material and/or production costs have likely been lowered, somehow. The usual tradeoff that comes with lower material and production costs is ... quality control ... specifically less of it.

I'd pass.

5. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

My Coopers on my truck and my Altima are American company and American made:great:. I was going to put coopers on my wifes new Avalon but the Zeon's (the RS3-A) are made in china:grrrrrr:. Emailed them to find out as I was sold on those tires until I heard somewhere they were made in China. I did go Michelin but the tires (the specific ones I got) are made here in the US. Like @McClintoc I am on a "try" not to buy chinese stuff if I can.

And again I do agree on the points you make on things specifically made for Walmart (or any place for that matter), but more saying that real research needs to be done and not just a blanket "its from walmart so its crap":glasses:. I wasnt necessarily defending those tires either as if I remember right (from the old post on them) they are made to lesser specs than the dura-tracs, but whether or not that makes them crappy tires I really dont know. Is your car going to blow up in 1000 miles because of them I doubt it as they do still carry the goodyear name and a company doesnt want a bunch of bad publicity when most people will see the name and thats it if something was really wrong.

One thing I do like about discount/americas tire co (I have used them for the last 12 years or so) is that on passenger tires they rate good/better/best and then explain how they come to the rating, and its solely on the construction of the tire (not weather the tire actually sucks or not), from their research is required on the specific brands/models. I am one who spends completely too much time when it comes to researching things like tires and other things before purchasing for my car.

6. SurrealOne

Me, too. The only thing that helps shorten my time spent on it is opinions from others I trust...

7. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I wil not support the decay of the small business... WalMart!! Many a company has gone out of business because they wouldn't fold to the WalMart pressure.

8. donl

donl Rockstar 100 Posts

And I refuse to buy GM for not paying back the tax payers after the bailout. We all have our beliefs and loyalties.:wink2:

9. SurrealOne

That's why you NEED to buy GM ... so you, the taxpayer, can pay yourself back!

10. langss

langss New Member

I have used BFG All Terrain Radials for the last 20+ years and got great mileage out of them. They are the best all around on and off road tire I have ever used and outside of they do get tired of being pounded at 70+ mph if you don't commute in your truck like I used to they will serve you well. I did run a set of Bridgestone Desert Duelers, but they did not last as well and were not as good off highway as the BFG's. Just my .02.