1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Wrecked the Trailblazer - the saga

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Nov 13, 2007.

1. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Good for you Steve!
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I did another drive in it, and it actually only feels loose when accellerating, not when driving at a constant speed or even slight accelleration. What would cause it to loosen up when accellerating? Anyone?
  3. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Does this truck have speed sensitive steering Steve?

I just was wondering because that may have been damaged and could be your real problem. Not to mention a real expensive problem.

I still can’t believe they didn’t total this thing. I haven’t kept up in years but what was the book value before the accident? They used to have a brake point at half the vehicle cost for totaling vehicles.
  4. ChevyFan

Kelly Blue Book on this vehicle for Private Party (at time of accident) was roughly $9500, going rate at a pre-owned dealership was probably upper 10'000 maybe 10,999.

In Texas, they like to total a vehicle around 70% of the Actual Cash Value. I would have taken $9500, so 70% of that would have been $6300 after they took out my $500 deductible. (which I get back after they sue Farmers Insurnace for me)

Right now, with the additional work that has to be done, we're looking around $7500 it total repais. $6750 has already been spent, but the fan clutch replacement is probably ~$500 out the door, not sure about the steering, not sure about the insider fender ledge. This could his $8000 or higher before it's all over and done with.

I'm not sure if the Trailblazer has speed sensitive steering or not. I'll look into it and we'll see.
  5. ChevyFan

Anyone think it could be the stabilizer bar, like a bushing went out from the wreck?

Haven't been able to find anything on Speed Sensitive Steering for the TB yet.
  6. ChevyFan

I got it back, it still needs some work. See the post about "Got my Trailblazer back" in the Trailblazer forum.
  7. ChevyFan

I just got word last week that my insurance company has started the process of suing Farmers Insurance. Whoo Hoo!

It's actually arbitration, but it should be pretty cut and dried.
  8. Texasguy

Texasguy New Member

This might be a wierd first post here guys, but I live in Arlington also and Matlock can be terrible, especially with the new Arlington Highlands buildup. I feel your pain Steve. My office is off Cooper St south of I-20, and we can quite literally hear the wrecks outside on Cooper almost daily:shocked: About six months ago I was involved in a hit-and-run on Randoll Mill and Cooper, only cosmetic damage, but now its on my dime!

Anyways, I am checking out some Chevy forums becuase I got my first GM vehicle after owning 4 Hondas, and I love it! Its a 2008 Tahoe 3LT in Summit white. Heck, one of the reasons I bought a Tahoe was because all these terrible drivers in Arlington/ DFW concern me so much. I just didn't feel safe driving a 3500lb Honda anymore.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  9. ChevyFan

Thanks for joining up. I should probably make a Texas forum on here just for all the Texans here. ;-) Yeah, I think I've been pretty fair about the whole wreck thing, but they do happen. Good luck on the Tahoe and let us know if you have any questions.
  10. ChevyFan

Turns out it was a leaking steering rack, from my point of view it was almost certainly caused by the accident.

When I drove the vehicle the first day that they had offered it up to me, it seemed to drive fine. After I drove it move it got sloppier and sloppier. That tells me it was damaged in the accident and started leaking pretty badly afterwards.

Does that make sense?

Thanks to Vandergriff Chevy for finding it, they put it up on the rack and took a look at it. Not sure if they had to pull it apart, but it's got to be fixed.