Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

wrong oil

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by billw, Mar 8, 2008.

1. billw

billw New Member

i went on vacation with my 5.7 van pulling a 25 foot travel trailer. we were going to fl. and i change oil to
    20-50 mobil1 before leaving RI. after we were in FL about 1,000 miles from home i started to here a ticking noise when starting after it was warmup it would go away in about 30.sec. while in FL. i change oil back to 5-30 mobil 1 but could still her the noise when starting. did i cause any damage? thanks billw
  2. Gmcsuvguy

Gmcsuvguy Rockstar 100 Posts

I think it was just a coincenence that the ticking started after your trip. Changing your oil type and grade should have no affect on your engine.
  3. black jack

black jack Rockstar 100 Posts

in the past id say no. back then using 20w50 was rec for long dis highway use and the 5w30,10w30 and 10w40 for local. but now adays the new vehicals are designed for the lighter weight oil for gas miles and better performance. so to answer your ? one not knowing what yr your truck is its hard to say but id check with dealer. as a coinsidence. ya it could be possible but too thick of oil well dont rule out.
  4. billw

billw New Member

it,s a 2001 3500 savana conversion van thanks for your response