1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

X pipe help-thoughts

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by kennythewelder, Aug 20, 2014.

1. kennythewelder

kennythewelder Active Member 100 Posts

I am thinking about putting an x pipe on my 1997 vortec 5.7 L . I have true duel ext. with old school glass packs on there now. I don't want to change out any of that. I removed the factory muffler, and installed the 2 glass packs some time ago. Then installed 2 tail pipes, so in front of the glass, there are 2 pipes (factory) and behind the glass packs 2 larger pipes. I also have summit shorty headers on there. The truck has been tuned and has a cold air filter with a 170 degree thermostat. So here is the question, will an X pipe give me more performance? More bottom end? more top end? or just all round better. Common sense tells me top end, but I have never messed with one. And how will effect the gas millage?
  2. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Yes, the engine will run more efficiently. That means a little more power, and a little more MPG (though the differences may be small enough that you may not notice).

An X-pipe/H-pipe/Y-pipe will help even out the exhaust pulses, which will help the exhaust exit the system more smoothly.
    kennythewelder and ChevyFan like this.
  3. kennythewelder

come on guys. I know some of yall have an x pipe. just 1 comment.
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Hi Kenny, I like the sound of an "X", or an "H" pipe, as @dobey said, the small port between the two sides helps to balance the notes.
  5. kennythewelder

Thanks Ray. I think I will put one on in a few weeks. I was wondering mostly about how the pipes cross over under the truck. On these old 90s models, they both run on the passengers side, because of the fuel tank. That made me wonder about the different length, drivers side being longer than passengers, measuring from the muffler forward. The drivers ext. actually comes out on the passengers side and vice versa, with the passengers side going around the spare tire and coming out on the drivers side. LOL are you confused yet ? So the x pipe would go in front of the mufflers, but would the extra length of pipe on the drivers side act any differently that the passengers side? Or would the (scavenge effect) not really be affected?
  6. RayVoy

Haha, you've got way too much time to think. I think you will have more of a problem with the separate set up you have now (it sounds like you have uneven lengths now).

Would something real short like this work for you?
    [​IMG]

It's a Magnaflow X
    ChevyFan likes this.
  7. kennythewelder

Yes, but I have all the room in the world under there. Would a longer x pipe work better? ( lots of time to think while burning welding rods)
  8. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

An X-pipe doesn't really have a length. All that matters with it is where the two pipes "touch" in the stream. At that point there is simply a hole between the two pipes, that is the same cross sectional area as the diameter of the pipes. An H-pipe is exactly the same, but instead of bending the two pipes cutting and welding them in the center, they just have a 3rd pipe which connects the two pipes in the center.
  9. RayVoy

I wasn't looking at it for length, just thinking about the compact shape. They call it an "X", but the in pipes would be parallel and so are the outlet pipes, so to me it's more of an "H" pipe.
  10. kennythewelder

I have looked at a lot of different ones on line in the last few days. I am thinking about maybe making one. I want the scavenge effect for sure.