1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

x pipe

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by sharpshooterusmc, May 4, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. sharpshooterusmc

sharpshooterusmc New Member 100 Posts

i was looking at putting a x pipe on my 01 2500HD with true dual straight pipes. the site claims that it adds power, i know it will balance out the back pressure but will it acctually add power
  2. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member 100 Posts

Its supposed to add power but i think an H-pipe is better than an x-pipe. An x-pipe forces both exhaust streams into one point then divides out again. This causes more back pressure than an H-pipe.
  3. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 New Member 100 Posts

Im old school, I like dual pipes with no crossover. That way you can tell what bank in giving you problems, Valve seals,valve leak,rings leaking, and misfire. My .02
  4. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

180 degree headers in a Vette

I vote for H pipes. Power increase or not, it tends to quiet the exhaust note down a bit. If you really wanted to modify your exhaust for a power increase take a look at 180 headers.
    They have a distinctive sound that not everyone is a fan of:
    YouTube- Corvette with 180 Degree Headers
  5. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero New Member 100 Posts

In the other section I have a thread with many links and info.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20690

Some highlights

Recommendations:

1. Always use a crossover of one kind or another. Our tests indicate that the X type gives additional improvements over the H type.

2. Mount the mufflers as far to the rear of the chassis as possible. An important characteristic of the exhaust system (behind the headers) is its ability to dissipate heat energy. Heat loss brings with it, gas volume reduction, enabling smaller mufflers and pipes to be used without penalty.

3. Always us the largest case muffler that you can fit under the chassis possible. The larger internal volume allows additional acoustical energy to be absorbed ,dissipated and eliminated.

4. Unless an engine is in the 500+ horsepower level or run at very high RPM, the maximum tailpipe size required for minimal power loss is probably 2.5" diameter. When the exhaust pipes and mufflers drop the temperature significantly, the volume of the exhaust gas is reduced and tailpipe sizes is not as critical.

Crossover Test Results:

By reviewing the data in figures 8-10 (below), it can be seen that when comparing the H and X types, the X crossover not only reduced 60 foot times and quarter mile times but increased trap speed as well. Functionally, the difference between the X and the H is, the X type forces the exhaust to cross between both sides. Based on the performance increases we noted with the X crossover, the scavenging forces created by the gasses crossing over in this way appear to be stronger and more effective across a wider range of engine speeds