XM Radio signal

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by accesshero, Dec 4, 2008.

1. accesshero

accesshero New Member

I have been getting bad signal from my XM service.. It works great in the morning and evening but during the days I get no signal.. Is there another antenna that I can use that will give me better signal? Does anybody have any ideas how to get this working thought the day?

AccessHero :glasses:

P1010184.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  2. CamoRig

CamoRig Member

With your location it might be an enviromental issue and the angle of the satellites transmit antenna. Do you know someone else who has the same XM radio and antenna? If so do they get a better signal then you? There also could be a problem with your radio reciever not the antenna, how hot is your cab or under dash area get in the day compared to the other times it works. Check for a severly crimped antenna feed cable to the receiver, make sure your connectors are clean and don't have any corrision.
    Good Luck!

3. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

it may have to do with your location
    :neutral:

4. accesshero

accesshero New Member

I can't say I know anyone else with a XM radio in their vehicle .. I would have to check with some friends... The vehicle is not that hot during he days... Tropical climate and its mostly windy... I will have to check on my antenna connections as was recommended....

AccessHero:glasses:

5. RAPTOR_660

RAPTOR_660 Rockstar

Your antenna may be going bad.How long have you had it?

6. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It sounds like you are on the end of the sat's footprit. That is to say that at some time during the earths rotation you are not getting enough signal to your geographic area. See if XM has a sat coverage map showing your area. I am asuming tat the XM is in your truck and you are in the open enough to verify that your service is only interrupted at certain times through out the day dant that is the only constant.

7. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

Replace the antena run the wire through the third brake light and tuck the wire in along the trim all the way to the receiver. Try not to kink the wire this should solve your problem. It worked for me.

8. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

So, where is the antenna located? How long have you had the model your using? Did you just now notice this going hay wire during the day? Sirius and XM have merged and are in the process of unifying their signals for the first of the year complete change and marketing. Have just installed my 4th radio from Sirius( 3 Sportster models failed), threaten to cancel my Subscript, they sent free new radio,refunded three months services and paid for three months service. But for two years now I have griped* to them about losing the signal, radios going bad and various other issues so the person I had finally gotten was the better of all the CS's that I talked with.
    So, need to know all about your setup and then we can go from there.....

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2008
  9. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

He's right, you are RIGHT on the edge of the sattelite footprint. Your signal is very weak and there's no way to get a better signal other than to move to the US... There are no "high gain" XM antennas that I know of.