1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Xplod Woofer Box

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Stealth, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hey guys, I've got a sub-woofer that i bought from a friend and I'm looking at mounting it in the rear of my truck cab. All I know about the speaker is that it's a Sony Xplod 12" one of the older models. I know i need to buy an amp and mount it a box, so i want to build my own. (box not amp) This is what I know:
    -Box needs to be airtight for max response
    -I need a seal to mount the woofer on
    -I need an adapter to connect the amp to my stock stereo (for now)
    I'm not looking for humongous sound, just little more bass. Should I keep this woofer and build a box, or go with a thin 10" sub in a box? I want to do the woofer now because I've got it, so any help you guys can give me would be awesome. Thanks in advance
  2. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I have first hand experience with this recently...I had a single 12 inch rockford fosgate Punch HE (a really good sub) that a friend had given to me because he was upgrading his system to Digital Designs subs and didnt need this sub. My other friend just picked up a 04 F-150 Heritage, and he wanted some more bass...so I gave it to him (since I already had my 2 10 inch RF P1s), and we went about getting it into his cab. His truck is a regular cab, so it was going to have to fit behind his front seat, which was a problem since the 12 came in a huuuge car box. We built the biggest box we could out of that huge car box, and got it to fit behind his seat, got the amp all wired up, and...it sounded terrible. The box was sealed fine, sub was in fine shape, good clean power running to it, and it still sounded ****ty because there just was NOT enough room in the box to make the sub sound good, it needed all that airspace in the big car box to sound good.

Long story short...a 10 in a good truck box is going to sound better than shoving a 12 into a sub box that doesnt have enough airspace for it work properly.
  3. Stealth

4. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

The MTX looks like its the best set up for a truck, the polk looks like its not made for a truck/it looks like it wouldn't fit. You would have to get the measurements and see if they fit in your cab.
  5. Stealth

Update: Talked to a friend of mine at school yesterday, and he showed me how I could build a box for my truck that would give me the right setup for the woofer. I think then that I'm going to keep my woofer and build a box for it. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.