1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Y-Pipe: Needed or Recommended?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Metaluzc, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Metaluzc

Metaluzc New Member

Is a Y-Pipe needed or just recommended when installing long tube headers? Looking at buying PaceSetter LTs and was wondering if getting a Y-Pipe is a necessity for easier installation (possibly better performance also) or just a recommendation for making it an easier installation?
  2. Big75

Big75 New Member

If you want to run one pipe out the back or side, you need a Y pipe. If you want to go dual exhaust, it's a good suggestion to run an X pipe somewhere along the line. Sounds cleaner and helps you keep your low end torque. you can run duals without an X pipe though, wont hurt anything.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Doe's the Y-pipe replace the cats and let you bolt-up the headers to the exhaust?
  4. Big75

Big75 New Member

You're going to have some fabrication using long tube headers no matter what you do. shorties should be a direct replacement for stock manifolds. If you want to keep the rest of the exhaust stock, you will at the least need to get a set of header collectors. You can get those with a section of pipe pre-flanged.
  5. Metaluzc

Metaluzc New Member

I was planning on going the one pipe route since I already have the MBRP cat-back exhaust and I wasn't sure if the Y-Pipe was needed. So will the LTs connect directly to the Y-Pipe and the Y-Pipe connect to the exhaust? Or is this where you need the header collectors you were talking about?
  6. FergusonT

FergusonT New Member

I would go with the O pipe
  7. ippielb

ippielb Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have no Y pipe on my 2002. 2 headers, two separate pipes the whole way. I love the sound of it without an X/H/Y pipe. I also have no cats on my truck either so that makes it even better!
  8. Metaluzc

Metaluzc New Member

I am in PA and it is required by law to have cats and I don't know anyone who can just hollow it out. So I would have to either scrap my existing exhaust or do a custom true duals or buy another one to make true duals with the MBRP exhaust..
  9. KWG08VMI

KWG08VMI New Member

I have talked to the guys at Summit about this same issue and if you go with the LTs and you want to keep your exhaust then you are going to need the Y pipe. I am not sure if it is flanged or not. But Summit has really good Tech support if you go to the site.

I have the same setup as ippielb on my '02 Chevy,except my cats aren't hollowed out, and i have to say i miss that sound on my '10 GMC.
  10. dualdj1

dualdj1 New Member

H-Pipes give you a nice sound with the benefit of pressure equalization. X has better equalization but you lose some of the sound quality. True duals are nice but only if you don't have much restriction following the headers (ie no cats and race mufflers)

Y-pipes are needed sometimes just for space consideration, where you only have room for 1 pipe going to the back.