1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Yet another Wheel Spacer Question

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Slim-pickins, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Slim-pickins

Slim-pickins New Member

I searched all over and I see some good points but here is my quandry. After my 5 1/2" RC lift my driver side ball joint assembly is about 1/16" from the wheel and it does audible and visibly rub sometimes. I have factory 18" 6 lug rims. I need just 1/8"-5/16" to do away with the issue. I know for this small amount of spacing using universal 6 lug spacers isn't an issue but could I use some mag washers instead? Not a question of $ becuase what is another $20-$30 bucks on a 08" GMC Sierra I have lifted, bought tires, done exhaust and air intake work, could have bought a Porshe by now but I can get the Mag washers local without ordering and i am not exactly patient, I would like to do it this weekend if I can.

So the question is can I use the Mag washers or should I order the spacers? Thanks in advance.
  2. ajarman

ajarman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I am looking into spacers also. I just want to get a better looking stance on my '08 with out getting new wheels and have not heard of the Mag Washers before. So would they just go on each stud and space the wheel out that way? I have been looking at the 15mm spacer from adapterkings.com but for that little bit of aluminum it is very expensive. $41. per spacer.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Mr.Gasket used to make a pair of thin spacers for about $20.00 a pair. I've had a set on my Suburban 4X4 since 1996.
  4. Greg84

Greg84 New Member 100 Posts

Personally I'd get a spacer and some extended thread lug nuts. There's no guarantee the washers are going to be exactly the same thickness, and people get vibration problems if they use different wheels and forget to take off that thin little clip that the factory puts on one stud to hold the brake rotor on the hub so it doesn't take much of a difference to cause problems!
  5. ajarman

ajarman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Does anyone know of hand if a 15mm spacer will fit on the factory studs with factory 17's with 5-7 threads to tighten the lugs on? I believe the stud length is 1.75".
  6. dsrtne1

dsrtne1 New Member 100 Posts

Definitely buy the spacers or get aftermarket wheels with a different backspace. Don't use washers.
  7. Slim-pickins

Slim-pickins New Member

Alright I added the 1/4" spacers to the front and my ball joint now has a healthy amount of clearance. But when I still turn and hit a dip in the road I get a light grinding/rubbing sound and my ESC light comes on for just a second. I have not done the alignment yet after getting the leveling kit and spacers installed. Any ideas to what this may be. I have looked for further evidence of a rub but cannot find one and it sounds a bit more mechanical that just a rub. Help !!
  8. Greg84

Greg84 New Member 100 Posts

The tires are catching the plastic fender liner.