1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Yokes on me...

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by ejohnson03, Sep 17, 2011.

1. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Is my Yoke broke?

Finally attempted to replace the rear end u-joints on my 94 Silverado. It went better than expected.

However, I'm concerned with the way the u-joint is strapped onto the yoke of the pinion shaft.

!BuHGpP!Bmk~$(KGrHqEH-EEEvq4,nIRTBL--lv0SYg~~_3.jpg

There is nothing from keeping the bearings from sliding back an forth.

What a crap design.

Anyone replace theirs with a better product?
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. dpeter

dpeter New Member 100 Posts

I have found that there is often a ridge on the outer edge of the casting that serves to position the ujoint cap and keep it in place and if not then the retainer ring that snaps to the cap will serve to locate it correctly. Check to see that there is a machined edge on the inner side for this.
  3. ejohnson03

Yes, I have also seen images of that.
    1230824147_ChevyGM8_5inch10boltPinionYoke1350Series30splineStrap.jpg

So, now I am trying identify the part number of my yoke, so that I can replace it with the tabbed yoke.

Even with my VIN code at hand, I am unable to locate the GM part number for this Pinion Yoke.

Seems that I need to identify the Rear end type (i.e. 10 or 14 bolt) and the spline number (25 or 27) count.

But this seems impossible without climbing under again.

Was hoping to locate and order while at work today.
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The axle type can easily be determined without getting under the truck. Simply count the number of bolts holding the cover on, and there's your answer. I'm not sure if there were different spline counts for the pinion for the axles. If I had to guess, you may not find a better yoke without swapping series of u-joints, which will require either a trick u-joint or a new driveshaft that has the proper yoke to accept the larger series of u-joint.
  5. ejohnson03

Found out what my troubles are...

Turns out that my truck uses two types of clips on the rear u-joint.
    inner uj.jpg
    The clips on the driveshaft are the enclosed style c-clip for the outside of the cap.

The clips on the Yoke end are the open c-clip style that clip to the inside of the cap.

Took half a day on the web and several phone calls to Pinion Yoke manufacturers to figure out what the heck was going on.

Guess O'Reillys and Autozone don't have that info in their computer systems.

Now y'all no...