1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

yokohama tires opinions

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by ministock8, Nov 8, 2010.

1. ministock8

ministock8 New Member

i just put a set of yokohama geolander at/s tires on my truck and my first impression is i don't like the feel of them. to me it feels like the back of the truck is floating around. i'm not sure if it's the tire or i just got used to worn tires and the new ones feel weird. i was just wondering if anybody else had this feeling with these tires or going from old to new for that matter. the place that i got the tires from has a 30 day return policy and if i don't get a better feeling from these tires i'm going to use it.
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

DId you put 8ply tires on or just the regular light duty tires? because it sounds like you didnt get the correct load rated tires for the truck and you were used to the stiffer tires, and with an HD you will want the stiffer tires (there is an actual term that is escaping me as of this moment) since the HDs actually weigh more than what the normal tires are supposed to take.
  3. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

x2 on that. I think your minimum load rating should be at least a D if that sounds right? I'd even go with an E if you can.
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Should be an E... D is for 1/2ton trucks.
  5. KWG08VMI

KWG08VMI New Member

X2. E is what you want under a 3/4 ton
  6. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen New Member

Sell em and get some Toyos.
  7. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher New Member

I was watching a hunting show a few weeks ago and the shows host had a toyo tire fail after he just got them and they had under 2000 miles. He was pissed off. They were open country at's. I guess every manufacturer can have a tire fail but it dissuaded me from toyo's.

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

I imagine they set the correct pressure for your specific vehicle.
    Have you tried adjusting tire pressure a bit? Start with the vehicles recommend tire pressure and either increase or decrease pressure. Talk to the store and see what they say about the way the vehicle is handling.
    Bottomline....if you have any issues with the way the vehicle is handling with these specific tires take them back and try something else. Take advantage of that warfranty and return policy. Try some other brands. There are plenty of very good all terrain and mud tires out there. Goodyear has some nice tires. The Bridgestone revo's are popular. I love my BFG T/A KO's. They ride so damn smooth on the highway and are tough and do a good job in snow and off road.

8. ministock8

ministock8 New Member

the yokohamas are 10 ply load range E. i was told by the tire guy that toyo tires don't get along with gm front ends. tire pressures have to be in a pretty narrow range because of the tps. i'll give it the rest of the week. here in connecticut i've already had a variety of road test conditions, including snow.
  9. Gryphon

Gryphon Member

My Burb is a 1/2 ton, but I've been running those same Yokohama tires for nearly 3 years now. I have had no problems with handling at all....as long as they are at the right pressure. Any tire will wiggle you around if it's too soft...and the Yokies will sure let you know. I forgot about mine during the summer (only short 5 mile trips and 100+ temps) so I didn't notice until it cooled off that my tires were about 10 lbs shy on air pressure. I topped them off and bingo: tightened right up again.

Good AT tire for off-road/dirt roads. Do good in sand too. I've never had to air them down off-road (but then I don't wheel my 2wd Burb too much!) and they have handled my overly-aggressive road driving pretty well too. I bought them because I my work commute included about 6 miles a day of non-maintained ranch access road in the southeastern Arizona desert. They held up well and still do great on our monthly Boy Scout camping trips.

Being a C1500 Burb, I don't have much for you with heavy loads and towing. I don't tow, but I did a 600 miles trip with the 'Burb loaded to the gills...she was effectively lowered 4/6 inches front/rear. Tires did quite well. I have five kids and it hauls all seven of us and all the girls' crap all over SoCal just fine, including the big Sam's Club/Costco monthly shopping trips.

2 1/2 years, 35k miles, I'm guessing I'm at about 1/2 the tread life. As long as I lay off the burnouts...
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  10. ministock8

ministock8 New Member

thanks gryphon. a guy at work suggested that i was so used to tires with very little tread that the ones with tread feel weird to me. the pressures are where they're supposed to be if they weren't the tps system would let me know about it. i'm starting to get used to them so we'll see how it goes
    thanks again
    Pat