Your Garage/Workshop tools

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by tbplus10, May 4, 2013.

1. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Got a chance to pick up a few new to me tools for the garage yesterday.
    Ive been avoiding Estates sales because they all follow the same pattern, 1 or 2 good items buried in a lot of items that arent even worth hauling to the dumpster. The people running the sale want you to clean up their trash for them, with the added expense/time of cleaning their mess you arent getting a deal anymore.
    Friday a friend talked me into attending an Estate sale out in the country, normally these type sales are good for tractors, backhoes, farming and construction equipt. items I like to turn for resale since they flip quick and bring a good profit.
    Unfortunately this sale was at a non operating farm that hadnt been worked since the fifties. But the real surprise was the barn had been turned into a full machine shop, and only 4 other bidders showed up, none of them were interested in metal and wood working machines so I bought almost everything for dirt cheap, a couple items I didnt bother with since it was equipt. I already have at home.
    I purchased a Lincoln Plasma cutter, a 10'x6' cutting table, 7' floor drill press, 6' bed metal lathe, 6' bed wood lathe, milling machine, full CNC machine still in the crate with the operating computer, Monitor, and programs still packaged from the factory, 2 floor model band saws, 1 wood, 1 BiMetal, and an assortment of metal and wood handling hoists, rollers, and carry carts.
    I finally filled my garage up with so many tools I might have to build a new shop to have a place to work on projects. All for less than $2000.

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Wow, great find.

3. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Wow, great deal, great steal....don't you feel bad for thieving it !!!??? Brian

4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Did you get any end mills or boring mills, heads, chucks or anything because If not your in for a big surprise lol!! Just sayin.........Otherwise great find!!

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Wow! Great find. I have been searching for deals like that for sometime now.

6. tbplus10

Nah the owner passed away and wont need it anymore, his family acted like it was all junk they couldnt wait to get rid of.

- - - Updated - - -

I got all the accessories, 12 medium size box's of attachments, speciality tools, measuring equipment, mills, heads, chucks, everything to run the machines. The family thought I was doing them a favor cleaning out all the junk laying around. They loaded the bed of my truck with every tool they could find setting in the garage just to clean it out and told me to come back and look around if I find anything missing. Definately a great score.

7. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Wow, that's awesome. I know where to go when I need something milled. :lol:

8. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

You could flip the stuff you don't want and make your money back plus!

9. tbplus10

A couple good places to watch for older heavy duty equipment is at school districts and local goverment sales, a lot of high schools are closing and when they build new ones many times they dont include metal shop, wood shop, or auto shops that were such popular classes from the 60's to the 80's. Or if they do build a new shop they equip them with new machines.
    Goverment machine shops are the same way whether its for bridge and road maintenance or building services they used to equip their shops with the tools to do the job but now they contract all that work out so the tools end up sold.

- - - Updated - - -

For now I'm setting up everything at a shop I have a few miles from the house, I'm hoping to build a new work shop behind the house in the next year or two, unfortunately everytime I think I have the plans perfected I find a reason to expand. But for now its all going to get set up temporarily so I can start using it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea I already threw a few items on Craigslist that were duplicates.
    I found another sale on Tuesday so I might have even more to sell later this week depending on what I find there.
    My temporary shop/warehouse is overflowing with projects and tools again.

10. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I have to many tools!! Said NO one ever!! LOL