1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

your opinions on the 454

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by drummerwookie, Nov 21, 2010.

1. drummerwookie

drummerwookie New Member

i dont have a suburban yet, but im really wanting to get one with the 454 and i just want to know what your opinions are on that engine..i want it in something like a 98 or 99..at first i was planning on the 5.7 vortec half ton model but then decided i just really wanted the 454...i know the 454 has been around a while but how solid is it in the late 90s burbans

thanks for any input
  2. Naptime

Naptime Rockstar 100 Posts

The 454 (7.4) is only part of the reason to go with a 2500 over a 1500. I'm not familiar with all the subtle differences, to me it seems like just a bigger 350, and I love the 350.
  3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the GM truck club Drummer..
    The 454s' are great for towing. My dad used to have one in his GM 1 ton p.u. & hauled a camper & a 4,000lb boat & trailer. Like Naptime said they are pretty much a bigger version of the 350s' Many people say that the square port heads flow much better than the oval ports, although that seems backazzwards to me.
    The downside is, they will suck the fuel like an X rated video starlett, so if you're not planning on doing a lot of heavy trailering, or towing uphill, you will be happier with the 5.7s' fuel bill.
  4. grandparon

grandparon Member

The 454 big block is a great engine for towing a heavy load over long distances, a suburban is one of the best vehilces for hauling people and their luggage anywhere, or a work crew to a job site while towing a trailer. If you are not going to be towing, a small block V8 would be a better choice.
  5. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I love the power of a big block! In my personal opinion if your gonna get a car get the biggest or best engine that car offered because typically it means they were made better. Typically. But I've really only heard good things about the 454's. I had a 350 engine in my 94 and as far a gas mileage I got around 12mpg where you'll be closer to 10 or 11 with the big block. So in my experience not a big difference and you get more power. Who doesn't like power? :)
  6. drummerwookie

drummerwookie New Member

thanks guys...im not worried about the fuel bill..im only home on the weekends anyway and although i go on a couple vacations a year one to northern michigan in the UP to see my dad and another down to Athens GA to see my sister, about 550 miles each way, it still doesnt worry me about the fuel bill..besides im thinking i may buy another car after the suburban bc altho my wheeling jeep is street legal, i wouldnt drive it that far..but ive been thinking about getting a corvette for a while so i may use that as an excuse after i get the burban..i would drive the suburban up to Northern MI either way tho bc where i got up there you need 4WD but id drive the vette to my sisters and get 30 MPGs doing it
  7. Z28Johnny

Z28Johnny Rockstar

I had the 454 in my 96 Suburban and it did well, but it lacked. Maybe it was just old. I just got an 01 Yukon XL with the 8.1 and it is a night a day difference, for the better. What kind of Corvette are you looking at? I have an 02 Z06 and LOVE it. I drive it all year, unless there is snow on the roads (like right this minute).
  8. drummerwookie

drummerwookie New Member

although id love a z06, i cant spend that kinda money on a toy with 4 wheels and 405 HP..lol....so im probably going to get a 97 or 99 C5 targa top 6spd or a later model C4 with the targa top and 6spd..id rather have the C5 for several reasons like the interior, the exterior and the LS1..lol...but i really like the later C4s also and ive found some of those around here for 8 grand as new as a 96 with as little as 60k miles...there was a 92 i was going to go look at that only had 30k miles and was about 12 grand, but my company kept me out longer on the road then i was suppose to be and by the time i got back it was gone
  9. MPC-Silverado

MPC-Silverado Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

had a friend with a 454 ss 91 truck back in highschool alot of power and pretty fast we got in alot of trouble with that gem! had another friend with a 2500 burb with the 454. he loved it very strong.
  10. drummerwookie

drummerwookie New Member

thank man...im assuming the truck your friend had was the silverado SS?....im sure the burban isnt anywhere near as fast with the same engine..lol...but thats not why im buying it, i want it for the utility aspect...but thanks for the info....so far i havent heard a single bad thing, aside from the fuel, about the 454