1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

You're choice for Oil?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by bryane, Feb 14, 2014.

1. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I use what the engineers spec for my vehicle, I always have played by those rules, enjoy this read on the oils , which are marketing hype, which are really good oils, which additives really serve a purpose, and what determines what a synthetic oil really is, I know it wont change your mind set, but it will make you ponder a bit. Enjoy. Facts vs Fiction....
    http://www.consumersdigest.com/automotive/motor-oil

2. bryane

bryane New Member

I just change my oil Using Amsoil for the first time. Normally I use Mobil 1 but I thought because of my investment in this truck I would use the best possible . the first thing I noticed was the Ticking upon start up disappeared completely. and of course now the engine is running much smoother but this could be the placebo effect. Also put in a K&N air filter. I thought about getting the whole cold air intake assembly but it was too muchfor the time being I'll stick with this. I'm coming from the 1997 Chevy making this 2008 Chevy ride like a Cadillac compared my old one This engine is smooth and quiet.

3. Cowpie

Cowpie Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Does it really matter what is a "true" synthetic (group IV) or a so-called synthetic (group III)? Can anyone out here in the real world actually tell the difference in performance, wear, and how the oil holds up? No. That is for lab dweebs to play with. And truth be told, you cannot have a "only" group IV synthetic and have it work well. It will not hold the additive package in suspension properly, so some group III "non true synthetic" has to be mixed in to guarantee the add pack will remain in suspension properly. And considering that the additive package makes up 30-40% of any volume of motor oil, this quibbling over what is a true synthetic or not really is a waste of time.

If a group III will have a cold flow pour point of -40F and a group IV is -43F, does it really make a difference? How about if the group III has a NOACK rate of 7.4% and the group IV has a rate of 7%, does it really make that much difference? Folks who worry about what is a "true" synthetic and what is not, usually cannot tell you what the differences are.

Fact is, lubricating oils and greases made from whale oil in the early 1800's STILL technically are classified as true synthetics, because of how they were made. But I sure wouldn't put that in my engine!! So what if Group IV "true" synthetics are made from natural gas (they are) compared to severely hydrocracked petroleum group III. Can you really tell what the differences are? They are both made from carbon based, refined, drilled out of the earth sources.

Some have some weird idea that "true" synthetic oils are conjured up in some back room laboratory out of thin air by some nose picking dweeb in a lab coat. Group IV synthetics are made from natural gas. You can make diesel fuel and gasoline from natural gas just like you can from traditional crude. Propane is derived from both crude oil refining and natural gas. NG is just another form of crude oil that we have learned to manufacture many of the same stuff from. And very highly refined oil (group III) and oil derived from natural gas (group IV) have almost identical qualities. So close that it is hard to distinguish between the two, except the group III is cheaper to make.