1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Z71 2wd into Z71 4x4

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by CJohnston, Jan 28, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. CJohnston

CJohnston New Member

I want to turn my 2wd into a 4x4 I got a great deal on the truck and dont want to sell it. Its the Z71 package but 2wd. Im sure its more complicated than buying a transfer case front chunk and wiring to hook up the switch. Anyone done this or is it too much trouble. Thanks for the input.
  2. BMason

BMason New Member

Unless you can get a donor truck for next to nothing, the costs will be more than the worth. You will need trans output shaft and housing changed, transfer case, front differential, front axles, front hubs, driveshaft, pcm, controls and maybe more that I am missing.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Does the truck mean more to you than about $5000, thats a low estimate of having someone do the work for you.
    No offense meant here but if your asking on the internet how to do the job and what parts you need you probably arent capable of doing the work yourself.
    You'll also need to plan other transportation for the better part of at least a month since thats the average time it takes to complete this task.
    You might want to rethink your plans and look at selling this truck and buying a 4x4.
    And yes I do have a bit of experience at this task, I've built over a dozen 4x4's from the ground up and converted probably another dozen, each one is still a learning experience.
  4. CJohnston

CJohnston New Member

I appreciate the input bmason. Although I suppose I should have specified my question was more along the lines of are the frames on the two wheel drives different from the four? That was my main concern I will have about two grand in parts using used parts. I have done a good bit of research just needed a little extra help. Just wanted to know if anyone has done this exact project?
  5. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I feel like a solid axle swap is the best route. What year is your truck? Also do you have a center console cuz I'd go with a floor shifter to make it easier. It's not to fun on newer trucks though
  6. CJohnston

CJohnston New Member

My truck is an 08 and I thought about the sas, but idk I don't want a super huge lift more less just want about a two inch lift. But I would love a solid axle.

- - - Updated - - -

My truck is an 08 and I thought about the sas, but idk I don't want a super huge lift more less just want about a two inch lift. But I would love a solid axle.
  7. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I just think it'll be cheaper to get a solid axle even if you are going to inches. If your doing it yourself. One day my 09 will be solid axle. I'm loving these 87s I just got, there last year of the solid axle I believe
  8. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 New Member 100 Posts

You would need a donor for the frame mounting brackets alone, I've never done it but the differences between the two are too much to justify. Now I think the only saving point is the 07-08 body change removed the old t-bar setup for the coils so that might help on the conversion but I think your sunk.