Z71 Ride Height

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by JMc, Sep 28, 2009.

1. JMc

JMc New Member

Can the ride height be adjusted on this vehicle...let me explain. I bought a 2006 Z71 which seems to sit pretty high. It has 265/70/17 Maxxis Bighorns on it. I am putting new tires on it and the guy at the tire shop said it looks as if the "ride height had been adjusted" and wants to put it back to stock. What does he mean by "ride height"? Thanks for helping the newb out!
    JMc

2. dshewy14

dshewy14 Rockstar 100 Posts

what he means by ride height is how your truck set, when they come out stock they set lower in the front end, so more than likly some one has cranked up your torsion bars (to raise the front end), but it is a possibilty some put a leveling kit on it. hope this helps

3. JMc

JMc New Member

If it's the torsion bar, does that hurt anything, or ????

4. IThurstSObad

IThurstSObad Rockstar

adjusting your torsion keys will give your truck a more edgy ride as in youll feel every bump.i personally love when the ride is stiff (no pun intended:gasp:)jk..anyway its your choice wether you have him reset it or not either way your perfectly fine.

5. dshewy14

dshewy14 Rockstar 100 Posts

actually if its not done right(leveling kit) it puts stress on your torsion bars and your frontend components

6. raueda1

raueda1 Member

Hope this isn't a thread highjack but.......... WHY is stock setting lower in front? The front of my k2500 'burb is very noticeably lower than the rear. And what's the advantage of leveling other than cosmetics?

7. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

the back cant be adjusted unless they used lowering shackles (- hieght) or added leafs/a block (+ height). He's probably talking about the front. the front has torsion bars and the torsion keys are what keep the bars twisted (those are your springs, so them haveing force on them is good). they probably turned the bolt up for the torsion key to give the front of your truck more height. it helps make the factory truck rake look less noticable, like i did. i'm putting 33" tires on too, so i have to crank mine up as far as they will go to fit them. hope this helps.

8. JMc

JMc New Member

Yes, it's the front. I'm having the front aligned and new tires on Thursday. I'm hoping my local mechanic knows what to look for. It is close to level and looks great so I would like to leave it alone if done right. Thanks for the input; I'll let you know how it comes out.

9. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What year are you driving, suburbans (depending on year) are not the same beast as the silverado. Start a new thread in the suburban section with more detalils about your burb and we can offer some advice.

10. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If it is sitting level there is a good chance it has had aftermarket torsion keys installed, the reason I say this is because with the stock keys you can only gain an inch of lift. If you find out that they are the stock keys I would recommend installing new keys to get the stance you want. The aftermarket keys give you a better ride quality than just adjusting the stock keys, as far as extra wear on front end parts I don't think it makes a significant impact,so long as you don't go over 2.5", I think it's more of a disclaimer. Just my 02 hope it helps!:money: