1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Zero Power with a fully charged battery

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Damning, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Damning

Damning New Member

Hey guys, I hope someone can help with this.

I have a 93 GMC ECSB. 5.7L 350. I went out to start my truck tonight to head to walmart and nothing happened. lol
    No lights, no ignition. So my first thought was I must have left the dome light on and drained the battery. So I pull the battery and set it up on my trickle charger. Nice slow 2amp trickle and I will deal with it in the morning.

Well, I'm watching the needle on my charger slowly move over to 100% fully charged. I have a new battery, maybe 2 months old. Charger says it's good. So, whats my next step? Fuses? Alternator? Relay? Need help......
  2. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

being this old corroded cables are a big item. the other is fuseable LINKS . these type wire fuses turn green [corrode] and you get no power . after you check the battery cables then go to the starter and check for these wires and links condition. you may also have a link or two over the intake manifold harness which is less likely to be corroded but some have had this issue with these at this location.

using a volt meter track down the loss of voltage . check that the ignition switch is functioning properly.
  3. Damning

Damning New Member

Thanks that will give me somewhere to start. Gonna go get some new cables right after I have a cup of coffee. :)
  4. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 New Member 100 Posts

Just make sure to replace them with new links, az, etc has them with the other wiring stuff. On the 80's gms there were 2-3 down by the started but im not sure on a 93. My buddy had one off the starter rot on his monte and there was no power inside at all.
  5. zigger215

zigger215 New Member 100 Posts

I second the cables and termination points as a possible cause, if you have very low output once the truck has started then it could be an alternator issue

OR

You're American made truck simply doesn't want to go to a s*** show that is wal mart. :)