GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2001 Silverado 4x4 and noticed that when braking at a slow speed that I get alot of feedback on the brake pedal as if the brakes are grabbing and slipping. This only happens at a slow speed and I was told it was the ABS and that is normal. Any one else has this same issue?

·
4,774 Posts
I just purchased a 2001 Silverado 4x4 and noticed that when braking at a slow speed that I get alot of feedback on the brake pedal as if the brakes are grabbing and slipping. This only happens at a slow speed and I was told it was the ABS and that is normal. Any one else has this same issue?
When you say....Feedback, would it be a Vibration in the Brake Pedal when Braking??.....With being told that the problem might be with the ABS, if it is the ABS......the ABS light would in most cases Comes on or Comes on/Flashes and then goes off......also have you recently had new brake pads/rotor's installed??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many miles are on the truck and when was the last time the brakes were serviced or replaced? Pads and Rotors.

Keith

There are only 58k miles on the truck. The guy I bought it from said it was his Dad's that had passed away that lived out of state and he didn't know that much about the truck so I don't know what has been done to the truck.

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

When you say....Feedback, would it be a Vibration in the Brake Pedal when Braking??.....With being told that the problem might be with the ABS, if it is the ABS......the ABS light would in most cases Comes on or Comes on/Flashes and then goes off......also have you recently had new brake pads/rotor's installed??
That is exactly what it is, a vibration when braking. The ABS light has not come on or flashes. Not any history at the gut I bought it from says it was his dad's that passed away and lived out of state.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I would look at the brakes themselves first if the ABS light isnt lighting up. could be as simple as the rotors being warped and needing to be turned (new pads as well if you do that). But I would just get in there and check the condition of all the brake components. I think I know what you are talking about with the last bit of the slow speed braking as I feel it a little as well. I also have 87,000 on the stock pads (they still have a bit of meat left too).

·
4,774 Posts
I would look at the brakes themselves first if the ABS light isnt lighting up. could be as simple as the rotors being warped and needing to be turned (new pads as well if you do that). But I would just get in there and check the condition of all the brake components. I think I know what you are talking about with the last bit of the slow speed braking as I feel it a little as well. I also have 87,000 on the stock pads (they still have a bit of meat left too).
I agree 100% with dsfloyd....on checking the Brakes themselves.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It could be possible that the current pads are 'glazed' meaning that at some point they got extremely hot and the surface took on a glazed appearance. When that happens. No matter how hard you press on the brake pedal, the vehicle won't stop any quicker or better. Like dsfloyd mentioned. If the ABS light isn't coming on. Then I'd look at the rest of the brake system. If it's been a while since it's been serviced. have the brake fluid flushed out and replaced with fresh fluid (Any DOT 3 or 4 will work) Just use a high quality fluid. In regards to the pads. You can take them out and remove the glazed appearance by scuffing them up or removing the glaze by taking a sheet of 400 -600 grit sand paper and lay it on a flat surface (such as a piece of plexi-glass or something similar) rub the face of the pad that contacts the rotor back and forth until it has a uniform appearance.

Then reinstall the pads and go through a regular bedding process.

Hope this helps.

KM

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It could be possible that the current pads are 'glazed' meaning that at some point they got extremely hot and the surface took on a glazed appearance. When that happens. No matter how hard you press on the brake pedal, the vehicle won't stop any quicker or better. Like dsfloyd mentioned. If the ABS light isn't coming on. Then I'd look at the rest of the brake system. If it's been a while since it's been serviced. have the brake fluid flushed out and replaced with fresh fluid (Any DOT 3 or 4 will work) Just use a high quality fluid. In regards to the pads. You can take them out and remove the glazed appearance by scuffing them up or removing the glaze by taking a sheet of 400 -600 grit sand paper and lay it on a flat surface (such as a piece of plexi-glass or something similar) rub the face of the pad that contacts the rotor back and forth until it has a uniform appearance.

Then reinstall the pads and go through a regular bedding process.

Hope this helps.

KM
Thanks alot. Will give it a try.

Ken

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

Ken....When you find out what the Problem was with Brakes..let us know......:glasses:
I sure will.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks alot. Will give it a try.

Ken

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

I sure will.
Sorry it has taken so long to get back but here is what happened. I took it to a mechanic who use to be a GM tech. They checked everything under the sun that had to do with the brakes. After a day and half they found a tiny gap between the speed sensor and hub. They removed the hub and cleaned out some rust that had built up and reinstalled the sensor. This truck was from West Virginia and has some surface rust underneath. Anyway they did that to both sensors on the front and now there is no brake issue. The pads and rotors were fine, just that gap between the hub and speed sensor.

thanks for all of the advice.

Ken

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ken....When you find out what the Problem was with Brakes..let us know......:glasses:
Sorry it has taken so long to get back but here is what happened. I took it to a mechanic who use to be a GM tech. They checked everything under the sun that had to do with the brakes. After a day and half they found a tiny gap between the speed sensor and hub. They removed the hub and cleaned out some rust that had built up and reinstalled the sensor. This truck was from West Virginia and has some surface rust underneath. Anyway they did that to both sensors on the front and now there is no brake issue. The pads and rotors were fine, just that gap between the hub and speed sensor.

thanks for all of the advice.

Ken

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a similar problem with my brakes. at any speed my whole truck will shake when i brake but its worse when the brakes start to heat up and we have taken it into the shop and its still not fixed i think its a warped rotor but not sure cuz i got disc in the front and drum in the back

1 - 13 of 13 Posts