GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an 02 silver with the 6.0L with AT. about 3 weeks ago one morning i started it off and it stalled then restarted and had rpms from 250 to 600 i thought it was bad gas but ran the tank dry and its still got low rpms and will occasionally stall when im idling or driving slow ( backing up, making tight turns ect.) i cleaned the throttle body and it seemed to work for about a day but now back to low rpms any ideas? I Need help!!

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Welcome to the club. When you cleaned your throttlebody did you remove it from the manifold so you could clean both sides or did you clean with the t/body on and just open the throttlebody and spray the cleaner in. I like to remove the t/body so I can clean both sides with a throttlebody cleaner and a old soft toothbrush. Also your throttlebody has a IAC valve, you need to remove this and clean it also and where it goes into the t/body. The IAC has a small pintle that moves in and out to control the idle. This gets gummed up with carbon and can't move in and out. Also clean the MAF with MAF cleaner. DON'T use carb cleaner. CRC is the only MAF cleaner I've seen on the market, its in a silver can. Clean the MAF per the cans instructions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just pulled the intake hose off and propped the throttle wide open and just reached in there (i got small hands) with a rag covered in carb cleaner i got about 3 rags worth of carbon gunk out how do i get the iac out? and where is it?

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
First, DON'T use carb cleaner,use throttlebody cleaner. Theres a thin film put on the throttlebody blade by the manufacture that helps keep the blade cleaner, but not completely clean. Carb cleaners can remove this film. I'm assuming your t/body has a throttle cable and not a fly-by-wire unit. The IAC is screwed into the side of the t/body, sorry I don't have any pictures to post of it but maybe someone else on the site does.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Does your check engine light come on? Sounds like low fuel pressure. Either the pressure regulator or fuel pump is bad or going bad. Try changing the fuel filter first just in case before digging in to deep.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
silveradotrailblazer this may sound dumb but theres 2 sensors on the right side which one is it haha and already used the carb cleaner but im gonna use some Tbody cleaner too and bobby i changed the fuel filter and any idea how to test the pressure that doesnt involve buyin a pressure gauge?

thanks, austin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
found it cleaned it didnt work thinkin maybe injectors?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Without using a manual fuel pressure gauge and connecting to the fuel rail for a pressure check, I don't know of any other way to check fuel pressure. I borrowed one from a friend who has a mechanic shop. My 2000 silverado with a 5.3 had pretty much the same symptoms you described. My pressure was down to around 13 psi, needed to be around 50 to 60 psi or so I was told. I changed the fuel filter, no luck then I changed the fuel pump and still did not fix it. I then changed the 18 to 20 dollar fuel pressure regulator and that cured it.
silveradotrailblazer this may sound dumb but theres 2 sensors on the right side which one is it haha and already used the carb cleaner but im gonna use some Tbody cleaner too and bobby i changed the fuel filter and any idea how to test the pressure that doesnt involve buyin a pressure gauge?

thanks, austin

·
Registered
16 Posts

thanks, austin
i'm havin the same problem with my 03 2500hd. there should be a fuel purge on the fuel line right off the engine with a black cap on it but if were having the same problem fuel pressure isnt it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have you looked into your air filter and air box? if there is lots of restriction to the air flow the engine may stall on idle or low RPM range, not sure if this is possible with the 02 chevy but i have seen similar symptoms on other vehicles witch was due to restricted airflow

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
airfilters not terrible i looked at it about 2 weeks ago

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had that a few years back turned out to be my tranny.
Went to the shop they adjusted something...ya right then it was better.
but within a year it started slipping and eventually had to be replaced.

But it did start out stalling when i would go slo and pull into a parking space.
I was lucky and had my tranny replaced under warrently had about 2 weeks left.

Good luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
it could be the tranny but i dont think it is, if cleaning the throttle body seemed to work im thinking it could be a issue with that. i know using carb clean is a big no no, my suggestion would to be look into that more

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had a rough idling problem like you last fall only when it was cold, ended up being my intake manifold gaskets were bad i could tell by spraying carb cleaner where it should seal to the heads and then you can hear it pop in the engine if its getting into your heads then you need to replace your gaskets, cost me about 40 bucks and i did all labor, 6 hours first time around, had to pull pretty much everything off the top end off except main harness, let me know if you have any questions if this is the case ill check up on here for you to see if this is it good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts