GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have instructions on how to try to repair or inspect the sunroof? My wife tried opening the sunroof when it was frozen and now it is jamming. Sometimes it will retract but won't lift up, other times it lifts up but won't retract. I'm hoping it is anadjustment issue. Anyone have a pdf manual or pdf instructions on where to start? Gm wants $1500.00 for a new roof and $600.00 ti install it. any help/advice would be appreciated. Harry

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
RE:

I doubt it is more than out of the track.

Problem is getting at the track.

Not real familiar with this system so I will wait for more informed help, and so should you.

But being me I would look and see if you can get the trim around the sunroof on the inside off and see if you can look up in there and see what is wrong.

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
RE:

Sorry, I looked all around, but I could find nothing at all. It appears to be pretty rare to have any issues with a sunroof. Does everything seem to be in order, will it seat itself properly and keep the elements out?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the prompt replies.....

I had a GM dealer look at the roof and he says that the cable has been stretched and is now kinked. Apparently there is a cable similar to that of a speedometer that runs from the sunroof motor and operates the roof for opening and closing. Presently it is not closing 100% and I have put a bit of silicone on the part that has not sealed completely. He also said that there are no individual components that can be ordered for the sunroof...so if the cable is kinked and frayed and stretched that you need to replace the entire unit. To access the roof the entire headliner has to be removed. At least that's what GM is saying. That's why I thought I would check into this website to see if anyone else knew anything about this problem.
Harry

·
Administrator
4,886 Posts
RE: Thanks for the prompt replies.....

You might want to consider an aftermarket sunroof, the job will be just as good and will be much cheaper.

I'll see if I can find an example.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Ask the aftermarket guys

I would ask the aftermarket guys first if they can fix,The cost I got for an electric full operational parts & labor was $1100.00 and it came with a lifetime waranty on parts and labor, you just had to have them inspect it once yearly to keep up the waranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts