GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i just took my truck in to get the brakes looked at and the guys said after i get the rear disc brake pads replaced that the calipers would have the possibility of loking up?!?!?! i am really confused. could someone explain this because i have never heard of this before.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
Never heard of brakes locking up after new pads installed??????

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
X2...I've never heard anything like this. I think they might be trying to rip you off and replace your whole caliper as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think what they MAY mean, is that after having the piston extended out of the caliper bore for so long (due to worn pads) that the piston MAY not retract back into the caliper like it should. In most cases the piston seals are designed to assist the piston back into the caliper. However, if the fluid has never been flushed or is old, corrosion from the moisture in the old brake fluid (It absorbs moisture) will corrode the insides of the Master Cylinder, wheel cylinders and calipers causing the pistons in the calipers to stick, and extend and not retract with brake pedal pressure.

I would ask him again, if that is what he's referring too.

Hope that helps, brakes are nothing to cut corners on, and re manufactured calipers are very inexpensive to replace.

Keith

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys i think i am just goin to another place lol i dont really trust the guy. or just end up replacing them myself. any pointers?

·
Registered
240 Posts
thanks guys i think i am just goin to another place lol i dont really trust the guy. or just end up replacing them myself. any pointers?
DO it yourself, Takes an hour max ( if your slow and pop a few brews along the way). Tip: dont set your emergency brake if your replacing the rotors on the rear, it will make you pull your hair out and break stuff :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts