GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
First welcome aboard.

The Burbs have a separate condenser in the rear for the rear air. It’s possible that the Freon has leaked out.

It is also possible the rear controls are not working properly. Not turning the ac on.

It sounds a little early for the Freon to have leaked already. I know very little about the ac systems on these but I do know you also have a separate heater core back there too. If the controls are not turning off the heater and the ac on that could be your problem.

All of this stuff is under the passenger side garnish opposite the spare tire. You have to get in there and take a look. There are some screws on the top of the tray then it slides inward I believe. Then you need to get the other covering off to look at the condenser and heater core. When the ac is turned on the condenser and all the tubing that goes to it should be cold, if not it is not turning on or needs a charge.

·
Registered
561 Posts
if the front get cold then the freon is fine it shars the same freon for front and rear. your issue is a commone one i bet the blend door is not working and moving fully to ac off heat. or someone cut the real lines and sealed them up and recharged the system. look outside after running the ac for a bit under the pass side outside frame rail the heater and ac lines run there feel and see if one line is cold if not look under the hood and see if it is disconnected. the blend door motor is easy to swap out. if that is the issue it looks like this.

it is the pass side rear panel like aboe said....mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rear air

thanks for the info. I looked under the passenger side and saw the lines that have been discussed. Is the access at the rear on the underside of the vehicke by the spare tire or inside the cabin near the spare tire? This suburban has had the air conditioning compressor replaced twice so I am on the lookout to see if the techs didn't reconnect something and cause this problem. Althought the works was doen a while ago it is possible that it wasn't noticed till now when the warm weather hit coupled with the fact that I never ride in the back. The compressor is pretty buried amongst all the engine stuff so I am not sure I am seeing everything but it appears everything is connected that should be. Any more info is appreciated. oh yea the second changing of the air conditoning copmpressor was free since the Gm dealer replaced it with a genuine GM Part that has a lifetime warranty on it. I wish I could tag this problem on that warranty too but it doesn't seem like I will be able to since they are seperate parts and it would be impossible to say it was related unless I found one of the techs didn't reconnect something correctly. comments....

·
Registered
561 Posts
if the dealer did the parts swap i pretty sure they would not hack off the back unit without the paperwork showing. ok--you want to get to the rear ac/heat box you will need to pull the rear seat (if you got 3 row seating). then there are a few screws along the pass side rear trim (the one piece pass side wheel weel cover) you need to pull the upper trim off the back of the side window and then the panel can me oved to the center of the car ( the rear side door insulation and seat belt would need to be removed if you want to pull completly) i just moved the panel to the center with the front still attched. the airbox will be right in view and you will want to have some one select hot to cold for the rear temp control and see if the motor for the diverter (in front of the air box) moves or makes sounds. if it does not you should get a meter and verify there is power when the switch is changed from hot to cold if so it is a bad controller.......three screws and one plug it is swapped out......mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts