GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 suburban and one of my cats keep throwing a code and was wondering if I can just cut it and straight pipe the one. It is the passenger side one so easy to do. And I know how to bypass the code. Any help will be very appreciated. I'm looking to do this asap.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Does your area require emissions? I removed the cats off my Mustang and just put straight pipes in their place. Uses the spark plug extensions and put the o2 sensors into the straight pipes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does your area require emissions? I removed the cats off my Mustang and just put straight pipes in their place. Uses the spark plug extensions and put the o2 sensors into the straight pipes.
I'm in Ohio and thru got rid of it years ago so I'm good on that front. Would it hurt the engine considering it's my daily driver? Like back pressure and all that ?

·
Registered
569 Posts
It did not cause any problems on my mustang. I don’t see it would on yours. I’d remove both though not just one. Replace the cats with straight pipes. Put the o2 sensor holes with threads into the straight pipes about where they would have been if the cats where still there. Then use the spark plug extension trick. It took 3 extensions on top of each other to pull the sensor far enough out of the exhaust stream on mine to keep the CEL from tripping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It did not cause any problems on my mustang. I don’t see it would on yours. I’d remove both though not just one. Replace the cats with straight pipes. Put the o2 sensor holes with threads into the straight pipes about where they would have been if the cats where still there. Then use the spark plug extension trick. It took 3 extensions on top of each other to pull the sensor far enough out of the exhaust stream on mine to keep the CEL from tripping.
OK. I will do that. Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2003 suburban and one of my cats keep throwing a code and was wondering if I can just cut it and straight pipe the one. It is the passenger side one so easy to do. And I know how to bypass the code. Any help will be very appreciated. I'm looking to do this asap.
Remove them both. Install " AllFLow Cats " (basically straight pipe that looks like a cat). Install O2 Spacers on sensors. While under there install a nice sounding Muffler (magnaflow/flowmaster) .DONE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts