GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to make my 6.0 keep up with the duramaxs, what performance mods do I need

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
There are several bolt-on performance mods that will improve your 6.0 like a complete cold air intake system, exhaust, custom tune or programmer, camshaft. Anything above that you would be better off using the money to trade your truck and upgrade to a Duramax.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
The Duramax has low end torque you could never duplicate with a gas engine.
The best thing you could do would be to use lower gears, then you lose high end speed and MPG.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
turbo or supercharger will help, but will cost BIGGGGG bucks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to make my 6.0 keep up with the duramaxs, what performance mods do I need

Comp cams has a few grinds that are really torque friendly for the trucks and along with a nice set of headers, exhasut and a cold air intake your 6.0 can do very well vs a duramax. My 04 Silverado SS has a 214/218 on a 114 custom grind cam, we ported up the heads, a set of AS&M headers (I don't recommend them due to leaks), swapped out the muffler and a cold air intake and my dyno tune. The truck ran 13.5's in the 1/4 was a blast to drive.

I know it can outrun the duramax too as while I was caravanning with some Impala SS club friends to a drag racing event, I was towing my car with the SS truck and another guy had a Duramax with the EDGE box and a similar trailer with his car on it. From a rolling 35 start on the freeway we lined them up and my SSS walked away from the Duramax. I actually was able to pull far enough ahead to pull into his lane at the end of the race. I feel it would have been just as good of a race from a dead stop. Don't fear the duramax, you can beat it with your 6.0....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that gives me hope

I really like this truck and hope to keep it for a long time , so that gives me hope that I could some day run with the big boys, I cant justify paying about 8000.00 more for the duramax and the up keep and deisel for a little more power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts