GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This occurs every time upon start-up for several seconds and then occasionally while being driven, when it will occur for several minutes until the vehicle is turned off. Appears to be coming from behind the stereo or heater controls. Have disconnected the battery overnight, however, the problem persists. Appreciate any recommendations.

·
Registered
17,446 Posts
Sounds like a temperature changing actuator.

When they are out of sync, or ready to fail, they make a clicking noise.

Remove any bottom of the dash trim pieces that are on the bottom of the dash on the passenger side.
Get your head down there,
Have someone start the truck and while it's making the noise, try and figure out where it's coming from

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a temperature changing actuator.

When they are out of sync, or ready to fail, they make a clicking noise.

Remove any bottom of the dash trim pieces that are on the bottom of the dash on the passenger side.
Get your head down there,
Have someone start the truck and while it's making the noise, try and figure out where it's coming from

·
Registered
2000 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L 480k+ miles w/ GM rebuilt motor and trans
2,098 Posts
I agree with Ray. Sounds like the HVAC system. I assume the vehicle won't do any adjusting until it knows the compressor is usable.

I asked because our "Lighting Control Module/Vehicle Immobilizer" failed recently and made a horrific buzzing noise that would intermittently start/stop without the truck running. So, we've replaced the LCM/VI and the weird noises stopped and the interior lights work, but we have to replace the PassLock module, now. I think one or the other fried each other.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ray - thanks for the diagnosis. I was able to replace the actuator near the glove box and the problem has been resolved. Appreciate your expertise!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts