GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Z71 5.3 liter. I guess I had a dream that I could get at least 13-14 average around town. I just did the math at the last fill up and it is reading around 11.6 MPG. My wife is driving all city about 16 miles to work total. Does this seem right? I am not running E85. I drove it home from the dealership I bought it at and was getting around 17 MPG. It has 57000 miles on it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
These things are absolutely horrible when it comes to city mileage. I'm sure if it's driven a bit nicer (ie. like grandma), it'll do somewhat better. But I wouldn't expect a whole lot from it, especially around town. Other than that, just make sure you've done all the usual maintenance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Being new to this vehicle, what general maintenance should I do since just purchasing it? I was thinking of putting a K&N filter in it, and new plugs since they probably have not been done since it was new.

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
I have a '04 Z/71 C/C and avg. 17.5 to 17.9 mpg. Of course I don''t use the 4X4 part except once or twice per month. I live 29 miles from town so my driving is more like 85 hwy / 15 city. On the road I get closer to 20mpg. The "Sub" is probably heavier than mine. I run Royal Purple 5W30 and also a K&N air filter. Good luck!

·
Registered
225 Posts
The E85 is cleaner burning but you use quite a bit more, switch to gas and the mileage will come up to what I and the other guys are getting. 14 town, 17.5 hwy.

Phil

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am getting that millage running regular unleaded. That is why I am wondering if I need to do some kind of tune-up or something.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm getting 11.9 on the highway loaded or not, Thats feeding my 8.1 monster motor with the Alison 5 auto and 3:73. (2001 2500HD crew cab long bed) I was hoping I'd get at least 15 on the highway. Everything is stock on the truck right now. I drove like granny for a whole tank and never hit 12 mpg. on the highway, unloaded with (6) people.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts