GM Truck Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Z71 5.3 liter. I guess I had a dream that I could get at least 13-14 average around town. I just did the math at the last fill up and it is reading around 11.6 MPG. My wife is driving all city about 16 miles to work total. Does this seem right? I am not running E85. I drove it home from the dealership I bought it at and was getting around 17 MPG all highway. It has 57000 miles on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bad Milage

Thanks for your response! I am glad I am not the only one! I guess it is what it is. I was thinking about getting a Denali with the 6.0 liter, but thought the 5.3 would do better on gas. Probably would not have mattered much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
couple of proven facts
E85 decreases mileage from 15.4 to about 12.5
E10 is better to use than E85
also E85 decreases engine longevity (GM won't care - you'll just by a new engine / vehicle quicker)

try this:
3 oz PURE Acetone (found at Sallys Beauty Supply)
3 oz Xylene (found at most hardware stores)
1 oz 5W40 Synthetic oil
---> per 10 gallons of 87 Octane (NO Ethanol !!!!)

get you a funnel - acetone removes paint - ask your female partner - that's what they use to remove fingernail polish

you should see an instant 10% mileage increase and a power boost - your truck will think it's running on 93 Octane

depending on your computer in your truck it might try to adjust the increased mileage back down.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is interesting I have never heard of doing that. I am not running E-85. I probably would be getting 8 MPG around town on that stuff! Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
couple of proven facts
E85 decreases mileage from 15.4 to about 12.5
E10 is better to use than E85
also E85 decreases engine longevity (GM won't care - you'll just by a new engine / vehicle quicker)

try this:
3 oz PURE Acetone (found at Sallys Beauty Supply)
3 oz Xylene (found at most hardware stores)
1 oz 5W40 Synthetic oil
---> per 10 gallons of 87 Octane (NO Ethanol !!!!)

get you a funnel - acetone removes paint - ask your female partner - that's what they use to remove fingernail polish

you should see an instant 10% mileage increase and a power boost - your truck will think it's running on 93 Octane

depending on your computer in your truck it might try to adjust the increased mileage back down.
Careful with that mixture, theres another proven fact that an Acetone/Xylene mix is highly volatile and has a probability of spontainously combusting. Also acetone has been known to damage plastic fuel tanks, "O" rings in the fuel system, and rubber fuel hoses (which many vehicles have now a days).

The best method for good fuel mileage on your Suburban is:
1. Dont carry lots of excess heavy items inside, keep the vehicle weight down (extra add ons like brush guards and nerf bars not only create wind resistance but also add weight).
2. Ensure your tires are properly inflated. Draw a chalk line on the ground in front of each tire, roll the truck across the line then check the tires, you should have a chalk line across the tire now. If you have chock only on the outsides the tires need more air, if you have chock only on the center the tires are over inflated.
3. Get a tune-up and clean the injectors and intake.
4. Get a quality air filter (My preference is dryflow filters).
5. Drive with a light foot.
6. Some tests have shown ensuring the vehicle is properly warmed up before driving saves fuel also (I'm still not fully convinced on this one).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts