GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 05 5.3 (354k miles on engine) wouldn’t start a few weeks ago and it seemed like it was the spark plugs. I put new plugs and wires in the truck a few days later and it started right up like normal. I drove it to my friends house and back that night, all good. The next morning I get in it to get it inspected since the tags are 6 months expired and it wouldn’t start again. It was doing the same thing it was doing before I changed the plugs and wires. At this point it seems to me that it might be the fuel pump, starter, or coil packs. I’m not sure on any of those so I’m not going to buy the parts until I’m sure. I also put my code reader in it, but apparently it doesn’t work anymore. The video is what it’s doing now after I put the new spark plugs and wires in. It was doing that same thing before I put them in as well.

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
Just a little info, the plugs/wires/coils are 8 separate assemblies, all 8 are not going to fail at the same time.
The one thing that is common to all 8 cylinders is the fuel supply.
Try a spray of starting fluid (ether) into the throttle body and then try to start it.
If it starts, it's likely a fuel delivery problem.
Perhaps fuel pressure, perhaps a pump that won't run.
Try the ether and let us know.

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
the problem could be electrical issue. fuel pressure should be 60-62 psi key on eng off.the other issues common is the security light is on then the engine does not start up.
have someone turn the key then hit the bottom of the fuel tank .. possible a electrical ground strap or the fuel pump connector on top of the tank ..
how much gas do you have in the tank ? if you keep the gas below 1/4 then fuel pump dies.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a little info, the plugs/wires/coils are 8 separate assemblies, all 8 are not going to fail at the same time.
The one thing that is common to all 8 cylinders is the fuel supply.
Try a spray of starting fluid (ether) into the throttle body and then try to start it.
If it starts, it's likely a fuel delivery problem.
Perhaps fuel pressure, perhaps a pump that won't run.
Try the ether and let us know.
3 days I ago I put the starting fluid in it and it started up again and I let it run for 2 min. Something like 5 hours later I started up again without adding fluid and drove it around my neighborhood. Then the next morning I go to start it up and it did the same thing again where it won’t start. Then when I got home that same night I go to start it up and it started right up.

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
Sounds like fuel pump, or fuel pressure regulator.
You need to have the pressure checked, or rent a tool to check it yourself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the problem could be electrical issue. fuel pressure should be 60-62 psi key on eng off.the other issues common is the security light is on then the engine does not start up.
have someone turn the key then hit the bottom of the fuel tank .. possible a electrical ground strap or the fuel pump connector on top of the tank ..
how much gas do you have in the tank ? if you keep the gas below 1/4 then fuel pump dies.
Well it has about 1/8 of a tank in it now. Usually I fill up the tank when it gets low and do the trip reset so I can calculate the mpg. That part would explain why the fuel pump in the ranger I had in the beginning of college went bad. I’ll look into seeing how to check the fuel pump and update

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
so here we go again .....you drive it with 1/8th of a gasoline amount in the tank !
good for the china part manufacturer , because your creating the $$$ for those fuel pump manufacturers.

what I do with in fuel take electric fuel pumps I keep it above the 1/3-1/2 amount.. then I fill it to the 3/4-7/8 amount... two issues under fill kills the pump over fill kills the carbon vapor canister...

so being tech that I replaced many DC electric motors .... so DC motors I replaced were huge .. some small..
DC motors will over rev with no load . then the armature gets damaged.. low gasoline air in the gas , then the motor over revs and gets damaged..
you have low psi .... on a cold start gas needs 60PSI.. if its 50PSI and lower not gonna start..go to part store and if they have the tool to use for a test they usually have this pressure gauge at autozone or other stores .. they will put a credit card temp cost on the tool .. then return it no charge..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so here we go again .....you drive it with 1/8th of a gasoline amount in the tank !
good for the china part manufacturer , because your creating the $$$ for those fuel pump manufacturers.

what I do with in fuel take electric fuel pumps I keep it above the 1/3-1/2 amount.. then I fill it to the 3/4-7/8 amount... two issues under fill kills the pump over fill kills the carbon vapor canister...

so being tech that I replaced many DC electric motors .... so DC motors I replaced were huge .. some small..
DC motors will over rev with no load . then the armature gets damaged.. low gasoline air in the gas , then the motor over revs and gets damaged..
you have low psi .... on a cold start gas needs 60PSI.. if its 50PSI and lower not gonna start..go to part store and if they have the tool to use for a test they usually have this pressure gauge at autozone or other stores .. they will put a credit card temp cost on the tool .. then return it no charge..
I got the kit from autozone and this is from the test

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
fuel pressure 60-62 psi key on engine off...55psi on a start will cause a difficult engine start.
get the engine running then check the fuel pressure... if its below 53psi with the engine running then the fuel pump is in need for replacing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts