Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody,
HAPPY NEW YEAR
today I have a more techincal question. When I switch my 05 Yukon XL into high 4x4 mode and going in a hairpin (close to full steering angle) the car is starting to act wired.
It feels like something is holding back the car and if it breaks loose with more throttle it is bucking and hoping. Today I was leaving an quite open parking slot at the tires were screaming. It is actually annoying when I'm shunting my trailer backwards into tight spots. Before that I had a Dodge Durnago and I never had that problem, but that one had a live axle.
Does anybody has the same problems or maybe a explanation?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
If you are on dry pavement, it will do that. With the 4wd engaged, the front tires and rear tires want spin at the same rate, but when you make a sharp turn the outside tires will be turning at a different rate than the insides (smaller circle). This is why they tell you not to use the 4wd on dry pavement.

·
Registered
52 Posts
why do you need to hit the 4 high switch??? i'n not sure on these new auto system, but i think when you hit the 4 high switch, you are also engaging the differential lock, which would create the problem you are having on dry pavement. (or even on wet) imo only put it on that mode only if you need to say 4 wheeling.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are right, but I had a electrical issue with my 4x4 selection buttons - the truck was switching into 4x4 high by itself (luckily not low 4x4). And the solution from the dealer was to use all buttons or modes once in a while.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
is it because the computer tells the truck, that the 4wd has not been engaged in a while so it does so, just to cycle it?? or is it a problem the dealer never found so they gave you a way around it??

if its a problem that the just couldn't find then you might want to try a different shop. cause of its a problem then it might get worse, and one day it might engage and you can't dis engage it.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
JVS440 said:
You are right, but I had a electrical issue with my 4x4 selection buttons - the truck was switching into 4x4 high by itself (luckily not low 4x4). And the solution from the dealer was to use all buttons or modes once in a while.....
I don't have any experience with GM's autotrac but I had an 05 Explorer with Fords version. It would engage the 4wd whenever the system sensed the rear wheels spinning. It would do this on icy roads or off road. You definitely do not want to use the 4wd system for extended periods on dry pavement, it is hard on the drivetrain and tires.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
if its a problem that the just couldn't find then you might want to try a different shop. cause of its a problem then it might get worse, and one day it might engage and you can't dis engage it.
I agree, get that looked at ASAP. Having your 4x4 engage when not needed is bad for the drive train. That's not very responsible of the dealer to have you work around the issue. They should fix that right away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.