1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody
this is my first post in the forum
I have few questions about my 05 silverado i hope someone can help me :money:
-1st How to know my engine size, It's Vortec V8 but i need to know the size (is it 4.8 or 5.3) ?
-2nd can I install Vortec 8100 on the car w/o changing anything but the engine it self ?

thanx for the help :happy:

Note:the car is (05 AT silverado step-side single cab 4x4 z71)

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Hey Joe welcome to the club. If you pop the hood you should find an emissions/tune label (most likely on the radiator core support) This should list the engine family & liters.

Sorry I don't know the answer to your second question

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Joe welcome to the club. If you pop the hood you should find an emissions/tune label (most likely on the radiator core support) This should list the engine family & liters.

Sorry I don't know the answer to your second question
all labels are removed form the car :( , I really don't know but thanx anyway :)

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
You might try going to www.compnine.com & inputing your VIN & info. It might tell you something but I don't know because my truck is too old & it doesn't recognize my VIN so I don't know what all info it will tell you there.

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
If the 8th number counting from the left is a "T" than it a 5.3.

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

Also, welcome to the club.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I can also look into this for you. In order to do so, I will need the VIN for the vehicle. Please feel free to contact me by private message and I will be able to let you know which engine you have on the vehicle. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really thanx guys, I found it ... It's "GAS, 8 CYL, 5.3L, MFI 5.3T(LM7)"
and if anyone can answer my 2nd question it will be great, thanx all for the help

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
NO the 8100 Series isnt a direct bolt in. you will need a new tranny (4L80E or an Allison) and a new transfer case, as well as new driveshafts at that point. Also new motor mounts, a wiring harness and PCM for an 8100. and new exhaust since the 8100 is considerably larger exterior dimension wise than a 5.3L. and for the cost either way you can make just as much power with the 5.3L and get much better than the 10mpg (on a good day 12) that the 8100 delivers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NO the 8100 Series isnt a direct bolt in. you will need a new tranny (4L80E or an Allison) and a new transfer case, as well as new driveshafts at that point. Also new motor mounts, a wiring harness and PCM for an 8100. and new exhaust since the 8100 is considerably larger exterior dimension wise than a 5.3L. and for the cost either way you can make just as much power with the 5.3L and get much better than the 10mpg (on a good day 12) that the 8100 delivers.
The thing is where I live now (Qatar) they don't let you install simple K&N filter, every racing part is not allowed since 2004, but I am allowed to change the engine thats why I asked about the 8.1L
but thanx for the info

1 - 9 of 9 Posts