GM Truck Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Chevy Avalanche, 5.3L, LT, 4WD that started throwing P301 codes at me. Not knowing the entire service history, I replaced all 8 spark plugs, wires and ignition. It seemed to go away, for a while, but started again a week later. Yesterday, I was having the same symptoms. But, this time, the code was a P304.

It seems to happen more often when the gas tank is low. Any ideas would be appreciated!

·
Registered
14,157 Posts
Try some injector cleaner.
And just use top tier gas

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Well since this is a 2007 it probably has AFM. (Active fuel management) Those 2 cylinders you listed are 2 of the 4 that are part of the AFM system. (1,4,6,7). maybe a compression check might help you see what is going on. Also, does this engine burn any oil and how many miles on it?

Ray types faster than I do. :)

·
Registered
14,157 Posts
Silver, I think AFM hit the 5.3 in '09; but I need to check that.
EDIT:
Silver, your right, the '07 has AFM, it was the Variable Valve Timing that was added later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well since this is a 2007 it probably has AFM. (Active fuel management) Those 2 cylinders you listed are 2 of the 4 that are part of the AFM system. (1,4,6,7). maybe a compression check might help you see what is going on. Also, does this engine burn any oil and how many miles on it?

Ray types faster than I do. :)
Silver,
It doesn't really burn oil. No more so than I'm used to seeing in any healthy vehicle. It has 142k + miles on it.
Try some injector cleaner.
And just use top tier gas
Thanks, Ray. I'll do that. Any brand of cleaner that you recommend? I put a Gumout in it, this tank, but didn't use premium gas. It's almost empty, so I can add another one with a fillup.

·
Registered
14,157 Posts
Cleaner, I like Royal Purple

Mark, wasn't suggesting premium gas, just a premium supplier, look here www.toptier.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ray, I'm a little confused. I used that link and it seems to refer to a palletizer company. Admittedly though, a lot of the gas stations in our area sell inferior gas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts